I-War 2 and Win11 laptop with Intel graphics

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #20948 by GlynD
Hi there all - long time no play this fabulous game but got the itch to fire it up again. Now the game is not loading! Grr! All I get is a black screen with the orange mouse pointer...

Have got the GOG version, not installed in either "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". Applied the no-cd patch, set it to WinXP SP3 (changed this to SP2 after some digging about) compatibility and run as admin. Even tried downloading the ddraw.dll from this post  and dropped it into the "\Independence War 2\bin\release\" folder...

Any one got it to work on W11 with a Intel 620 HD graphics card? Think I have attached my flux.log and DDrawCompat-loader.log

Cheers in advance (A frustrated wannabe space pilot)
Glyn

File Attachment:

File Name: flux.log
File Size:32 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: DDrawCompa...ader.log
File Size:8 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #20949 by GlynD
Even tried adding the following files; "bin\release\loader.exe", "EdgeOfChaos.exe" and "IW2EoCGS.exe" to the Data Execution Prevention exclusion (with and without the ddraw.dll in there). Still no joy... Bah!

The flux.ini ends with this line (if it is any help):
FLUX:     [unknown] LINKER: The package "ifrontendgui" is dependent on package "igame", which failed to load or link

Cheers
Glyn

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #20951 by GlynD
HA!!!!!!!!!!! Fixed it! 

Went through the tech questions, FAQ etc. and did them 1 by 1:
  • Patched with the No-CD patch
  • Deleted the planets folder from the "\resource\images\" folder
  • Set to run as Administrator and also in WinXP SP2 mode (both in the Compatibility settings tab of the Properties. Right click the shortcut to launch the game)
  • As mine is the GOG version, I added the loader.exe (in the "\bin\release\" folder) to the Data Execution Prevention ignore list
  • And tonight added a saves folder into the main installation folder
And that last one seems to have been what has allowed the game to start up and run... Well I really did want to give this game another run through, as it is defo worth persevering with. Now which mods did I have installed all those moons ago - and which fabulous new ones have you lovely people added?

One happy chappy 

Hopefully this helps someone else, who runs across the same problem. Now all I have to do is work out how to put this thread as solved. I do so hate it when someone online just says "Oh I fixed it", wanders off and is never seen or heard from again...

Cheers folks
Glyn

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #20952 by Chessking
Glad you got it fixed. I haven't attempted to run EOC on Windows 11 yet, so I wouldn't have been much help.

Don't worry about finding the marked as solved button, there isn't one, as this is more of a conversation-oriented forum than a tech-support one.

As for mods, I would recommend checking the last couple announcements on the home page for links to the recent Dagda-bug fix, 4k textures mod, and better planet models mod. Multimod is a requirement for many mods, so add that one to the mix just because. The Free-form mod allows you to play in free-form mode after completing the game, but it can be activated at any time during the campaign so don't worry about it too much. Many people like to play with Custom Jafs and the mega-transporter mod, to stop his constant complaining and allow him to collect loot faster. I'm not sure how much you want to stray from Vanilla, so these are relatively not game-altering mods, but there are plenty of more dramatic mods that change how the game plays, like FutureTrader and Unleashed. A relatively new mod is Enhancement of Intelligence for Non-player Ships.

Have fun!

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #20953 by GlynD
Thanks very much for those suggestions CK. yeah pretty sure when I last played the game years ago, I recall having the Custom Jafs and the mega-transporter mod. Will install the multi-mod and those 2 to start me off and maybe the high res textures one as I will be playing the game at 1920 x 1080 :)

Well chuffed it works on my Win11 laptop. Might have to see if I can rope a few others in and see if the multiplayer offers a co-op option to play, more interested in PvE than PvP...

Cheers
Glyn