Ship specific Cockpits

More
19 years 9 months ago #18179 by MajorTom
It is possible and even rather easy to do! Without pog!
You can simply place the cockpit as a subsim in the ships .ini file.

It does cause a slight preformance hit so I would recommend it for the SP game only. Don't use the method on nps ships or the preformance hit will be even heavier.

How?
1)make a dummy setup.lws file that's completly empty and put it in the avatars/cockpit folder replacing the one there.
(That will cause all player ships to be without a cockpit.)

2) Grab an ini file for a turret. (It has to be an type=icTurret file) Give the turret your cockpit avatar. Comment out the collision hull and the setup scene (so you have none). Change the bolt template in the turret ini to a nonexistant bolt.ini (so it won't/can't fire at anything.) The rest of the .ini contents can be left as they are and have (as far as I can tell) no effect, as it doesn't fire anyhow.

3) Place the modded turret .ini as a normal subsim on the crew null in the ships ini file. (make sure you keep the template numbers consecutive)

Thats it. You now have a cockpit, including cockpit sway and everything. You can't even tell the difference to the normal stock cockpit (except for a slight framerate hit because the cockpit is now rendered differently)
Using this method you can give every player ship a different cockpit by using a different icTurret subsim. ini file, each with it's own cockpit avatar. (once you have the different cockpit models).

I've tried it using the starfury cockpit and the original cockpit it works just fine.
Now you guys can get cracking making different cockpits if you want :D

The above requires no pog at all, but, you can switch the cockpit using pog if you want to. In this case you simply Subsim.Destroy the current cockpit subsim. Then Subsim.Create the new one (using the turret.ini with the appropriate avatar). After calling Sim.AddSubsim you just have to Subsim.Place it at the exact coordinates of the crew null.
It happens at the bat of an eye, no delay! Suddenly the other cockpit is there.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11002 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Excellent!

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 9 months ago #11015 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Ship specific Cockpits
Brilliant!

-Gtrout

More
19 years 9 months ago #11036 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
I would love to impliment this on the Escape Tug, and also the Prefitted Heavy corvette that cal pilots around in that mission. so, could the escape tug get some sort of 'visor' like cockpit, and the Heavy corvette get a cockpit that resembles the old style one from Iw1. Not sure how the pog scripting would work mind.

Basically i wouldl like the escape tug to have its own cockpit, and the heavy corvette mission prefitted to have a cockpit similar to IW1 style (the heavy corvette mission prefitted in my mod has a normal command section, so you do not get the 'two cockpits with call' problem)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11043 by Second Chance
The cockpit is just a Lightwave model like anything else. So you can have any kind of cockpit that you can model. But remember, it's just a new model, not new cockpit features. The cockpit behaviour won't change, just what you see on the screen.

So Hemp Monkey, that means you can have a cockpit that looks like the old I-War1 cockpit, but it won't switch between stations or anything. Or did you mean the view from the pilot station?

This is a most amazing discovery. Who would have thought the cockpit would sway in this setup. It's now easier than ever to add a custom cockpit to your new ship. A shame about the MP problems, though.

Can you even believe all the innovations MajorTom has made during the Star Wars mod developement. It's astounding what we can do now!

MajorTom, you should post about this over at Buda5. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #11045 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
I want it to 'look' like the old IW1 cockpit, not have different stations because that would be fat too demanding on the modding abilty.