Channels and Sounds question

More
18 years 7 months ago #18555 by GrandpaTrout
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has tried playing with combining channels and sounds. Specifically, if someone has tried attaching a sound object to a channel that vanishes.

What I have in mind is this: The player switches radar modes to passive - and all the ship sounds shift to electromagnetic noise generated by engine reactors and plasma streams and heat. And then the player switches radar modes to active - and all the ship sounds change to computer generated beeps and pings of radar bouncing off objects around the player.

It would be nice if the sound could be attached as a channel property. Then all the POG code would need to do is shift the channel value.

Something similar could be done with the visible avatar - if you wanted a true realism sci fi effect. But sound it a good start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13719 by cambragol
I know some sounds are attached to channels that stop. For example, the sounds of engines on ships must be attached to a channel that can start and stop. When I attached IMF sounds to ships I copied the settings for the engine sounds. This had the effect of course of the sounds only playing when the ships were active and moving. Still, I am not sure if these sounds are actually attached to channels..

If it could be done, then we could allow the player to control the 'translated' electromagnetic sounds they are hearing. Whether that be volume, types etc. This is kindof what you were imagining though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.