fun with .pso

More
18 years 5 months ago #14223 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic fun with .pso
Okay, all done and sent back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14224 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
Rats... something went funky with the compression. I can extract the lwo and lws files, but the textures give me an error. Can you send just the textures uncompressed (just attaching them)?

EDIT: Nevermind... I'm not thinking. I can convert them myself.

Perhaps I need a bit more coffee this evening... :D

EDIT: Good grief... my system was blocking unzip from opening the iff texture files. I've never run across that before. I had to open the properties panel of the zipped file and check unblock.

Virus protection is just getting silly these days... [xx(]

More
18 years 5 months ago #14225 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
Jasper, the cube is on the way.

Thanks again Cambragol. :)

More
18 years 5 months ago #14227 by Jasper
Replied by Jasper on topic fun with .pso
Thanks everyone, thats helped learn a few bits.

---
If there is hope it lies with the demo scene.
PSO and FTEX tools: pointless.net/eoc/

More
18 years 5 months ago #14228 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic fun with .pso
Exciting progress!

Yes, one of the things converter.exe does is to convert the LW style projection stuff to per-vertex texture co-ords - which as far as i can tell is the same thing as uvmapping.

The OpenGL viewer thing I wrote just takes the uv co-ords in the .pso and uses then to do the texture mapping.

If I understand this quote, then you are saying that the Flux engine itself uses "standard" UV mapping? It is just that the PS model team created the models in Lightwave 5.6 and so the converter was designed around the 5.6 texture mapping.

Would this mean that a new converter could be written to take UV mapped models directly? Bypassing the need to work around or "patch" the textures back in? My reason for asking is that Lightwave 5.6 is hard for people to get. And lightwave itself is very expensive. But there are many lightwave format compatable tools in existance.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14230 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic fun with .pso
If that's the case, I'll do you one better.

Jasper, do you understand the pso file format well enough to write a converter that can take a .3ds model with UV mapping and convert it? That would eliminate the need for Lightwave altogether and allow people to make models with vitually any 3D package, even free ones.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos