Converter won't output textures (anymore!)

More
18 years 5 months ago #14423 by Shane
On their way. Thanks. :) Gotta know if I've gone mad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14425 by cambragol
I just run the converter, giving the texture a prefix that I want for the name. Then I simply put the .pso files and the original .iff textures I wrapped them with in the same folder and they work fine. The game will load the texture whether it is named texture.lbm or texture.iff

More
18 years 5 months ago #14426 by Second Chance
Well Shane, you're not crazy. That object won't make textures. But damned if I could find anything wrong with it. Everything looked copacetic, and it's a fairly straightforward shape with no funky polys.

I suspect that somehow the file itself got corrupted. Because all I had to do to fix it was resave it. After that, it made textures fine. That's the only thing I can think of.

The file was also one or two K bigger after I resaved it. So I'm definitely going to go with a corrupted file.

I think the most important thing is: Is this happening with other models? You mentioned building another model and having the same problem. Did you try converting an older model as well, one that you know works? After the object didn't convert properly, the first thing I did was close the converter, restart it and run another model through it. That worked. So then I saved your object as XXX_XX_XXXXa.lwo. That worked too. (I also noticed that both the new lwo and pso were both slightly larger in filesize than the originals.) Finally, I just resaved the original. Then it worked.

Oops, wait a minute. I just thought of one other reason that a model won't make textures. Did you by any chance move the textures after you built the model. If the converter doesn't find the textures where the object says they should be, it can't load them for conversion. I've done this once or twice.

At least you're not crazy. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 5 months ago #14427 by Shane

Well Shane, you're not crazy.

My wife might dispute that statement. :D

Interesting findings...

I suspect that somehow the file itself got corrupted. Because all I had to do to fix it was resave it. After that, it made textures fine. That's the only thing I can think of.

That points the finger directly at my copy of LW. And with the recent troubles, I'm really not that surprised.

Earlier tonight I found an older version of the same model I sent you which worked fine. Converted the textures out perfectly. Opened it up in LW, saved it, and then tried it out again. Wouldn't convert.

So (I foolishly reasoned) the problem is LW. But then, of course, it started acting correctly. So far I've managed to convert perhaps five of ten different models. If my 5.6 is doing this, it's not doing it all the time.

Did you by any chance move the textures after you built the model.

Nope. And I always open it to check before I convert. I've not seen anything to indicate I'm doing that.

Thank you for checking it out. Another pair of eyes aids the troubleshooting greatly.

:)

More
18 years 5 months ago #14428 by Second Chance
Glad to help. I hope you get it sorted out. I'm leaving on a trip this morning, and won't be back until Friday. If you still haven't got it sorted by then, I'll be glad to help more if I can.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos