Spending lots of cash to play EoC

More
18 years 4 months ago #18677 by pr0fez
I just went bonkers and bought meself an X52 Flight Controller just to play EoC. I love flightsims, but they seem quite out of style these days. Why I got a sweet deal for the package! Still cost me $115, however.

Here's me stick ;) www.saitek.com/row/prod/x52.htm

Edit: Oh, that happens to be my fifth joystick ... now to get all my friends over for a lan and some multiplayer mayhem! I shall rule the skies!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #14469 by cambragol
I am very jealous. I am stuck with an old logitech wingman that I bought when EOC first came out. It is broken. And I am living in backwards Japan where you can't even buy joysticks, let alone Saitek or Logitech uber joysticks. I will have to import my joystick from North America or Taiwan. That X52 looks like a good candidate...

More
18 years 4 months ago #14470 by pr0fez
Just noticed that saitek actually ships a profile for EoC! It's also available from their website. Cool! Now to modify it for TS and send it back to them so they can post it on their site.

Edit: DOH! Just found another offer for the x52 at only $99.99 ... typical .... ah, well, a few less pizzas as I code, better for my health anyhow.

More
18 years 4 months ago #14514 by JT
I'm very happy with my ol' Saitek X45. I've owned it for two and a half years now and it hasn't yet let me down.

P.S. I'll whoop your butt all over the Pacific Front if you engage me in Combat Flight Simulator 2. I even have fuel-air mixture control mapped to my rotary on the throttle. ;-)

Here's the rundown on my EoC/TS configuration:

Joystick:
Hat 1: Lateral/Vertical Thruster Overrides (mapped to keyboard commands)
Hat 2: HUD Menu Control
Trigger: Bang, bang, bang!
Fire Button A (Mode 1): Cycle Direct-Fire Weapons, Cancel HUD
Fire Button B (Mode 1): Cycle Missile Weapons
Launch Button (Mode 1): Target Nearest to Reticle
Fire Button A (Mode 2): Cycle Enemies
Fire Button B (Mode 2): Launch Countermeasure (using the mod)
Launch Button (Mode 2): Launch LDSi Missile
Fire Button A (Mode 3): Engage UniGUI (Torn Stars)
Fire Button B (Mode 3): Communicate w/ Target (Torn Stars)
Launch Button (Mode 3): Call Jafs
Fire Button C: Reverse Thrust
Pinkie Button: Afterburners
Pinkie Button (Mode 3): Toggle LDS Drive (way more fun than using autopilot!)

Throttle:
Fire Button D: Next Target
Mouse Button: Previous Target, Mouse Click
Hat 3: TRI Control (up = balance, left = weapons, down = engines, right = shields)

I've been trying to find a good use for the rotaries and the auxiliary switch on the throttle, but to no avail. I tried making the aux switch engage and disengage my LDS drive depending on whether I had it switched all the way or not, but it didn't work for me. =)

"The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.