Which other games are you playing now?

More
9 years 3 months ago #19307 by 7upMan

Chessking wrote: The problem is the language. As a Christian, the language used in the game doesn't appeal to me.

You're an American, right?

After I play through the games mentioned above, I want to replay I-War 2, with Elite, Future Trader, Station Assault, Ifleet, the Babylon 5 station, Custom Jafs, and the retro ships pack (almost done). I also have to play Gold Rush, Torn Stars, and the Assembly.

Are all those mods available on this site in the download section?

Diaspora

Schmatzler, does the game feature Newtonian physics or not? I never really found any into about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #19308 by schmatzler

7upMan wrote: Are all those mods available on this site in the download section?

I think I have added everything except Torn Stars. I will add that based on your feedback - but since Google claims the official website may have been hacked, I won't copy anything from there at the moment.

Schmatzler, does the game feature Newtonian physics or not? I never really found any into about it.

It doesn't completely, but that is a good thing. From the official FAQ:

Are you going to be using Newtonian physics?

Nope. The show doesn't so we won't be either. The show uses a cross between Newtonian and "Aeroplanes in space" which we are trying to reproduce. Going to a fully Newtonian model would actually result in combat being less like the show. Given that we are aiming to be as close to the show as possible that's simply not going to happen, no matter how many people tell us it would be cool.

You'll still be able to do all the cool manoeuvres you see in the show though.

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19310 by 7upMan
Thank you. By the way, can you tell me again what kind of joystick setup you use? I wonder if my Thrustmaster Flightstick X ( www.thrustmaster.com/products/tflight-stick-X ) will be up for the job.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19311 by schmatzler
I have an old Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. It's the version with the big motors inside that just looks like a block.

The cons of it: You need a MIDI port and Windows XP for the effects to work

The pros: When I turn the strength all the way up, it really hurts my arm. Very realistic :D

The Thrustmaster should be more than suitable for Diaspora. It took me 1-2 hours to get used to the keyboard setup, though. I think the default layout is horrible and I configured it more I-War like.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19312 by 7upMan

schmatzler wrote: I have an old Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. It's the version with the big motors inside that just looks like a block.

Ha! And *I* have an even older Logitech Wingman Extreme on my Dachboden that uses a gameport. Which modern computers don't have. But some day I'll build myself a nice i486 computer out of ancient spare parts (VESA Local Bus, anyone? ;-) ) to finally be able to play all the goodies without all this nonsense like DOSbox and Glide emulators.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19313 by schmatzler
I always wanted to build such a PC, too.

I'm thinking about getting an old Thinkpad. A22p or A30p. It has 1600x1200 resolution and the best hardware for Windows 98 and old games. And it's portable! :)

At the moment I am playing on a Quadcore with Windows XP and it works. I got an old Soundblaster Live with a Gameport and I can use the Sidewinder with it without a problem.

It's possible to hack Gameport support into later Windows versions, but the Sidewinder uses very strange MIDI commands for the effects, they don't work. :(

One day I will build a USB adapter. Theres a tutorial on the web for it. Soldering iron, here I come!