Absent and Tardy list

More
19 years 4 months ago #12019 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Absent and Tardy list
Uh, did I miss something?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12020 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Absent and Tardy list
The German company I'm to work for told me that Californians are sometimes rather sensitive.

That, in combination with the Mexican/Spanisch language influence "personal motivation" could possibly be construed differently than a pep talk[?]

i.e if someone asks for your wallet and you refuse. If he then threatens to beat you with a baseball bat, wouldn't that be personal motivation too? [xx(]

... the most perfect climate Earth has to offer... and it's always sunset on Saturday evening right before the beach bars close

Sounds really cool. I haven't been there since 1987.
The traffic was already pretty bad then too, you could get stuck on the freeway and save yourself the first night in a hotel.
The toughest part of getting acclimated will probably be to keep from associating the freeway with the German Autobahn :D

Not to mention working on the 9th floor of a 20 story building in an earthquake zone ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 4 months ago #12024 by Second Chance
LoL. Ok, that makes sense. But actually, I'm not Californian. I'm a transplanted pre-9/11 New Yorker (read: we hate everything). Could be why I appreciate it here so much.

Yes, the rush hour(s) traffic in LA is legendary. But otherwise, the traffic doesn't seem any worse than New York (although you probably wouldn't like that either). But when it's not rush hour, the most common freeway speed is about 80 mph (although the speed limit is 65). With the local road speed limits rarely dipping below 40-50 mph. As long as you're going the same speed as everyone else, you're fine. Whatever that speed may be at any given time. But the police here are very practiced at high-speed chases, so remembering you're not on the Autobahn is a good idea.

As for earthquakes; I've been here about two years and experienced something like 20 earthquakes. Honestly (maybe even sadly), I never even noticed a single one of them. The only way I ever knew about a quake was when I heard about it on the news. Sometimes I would find a shelf item slightly turned or moved. That's about it. And all the buildings in CA are constructed to rigid earthquake specs. You even have to have a special architectural license to practice here.

Bottom line on where to live: LA = bad (but cool & exciting), everywhere else = perfect.

To give you an idea of the difficulties of living in OC (Orange County); about the most worrisome things to deal with are the runaway sprinkler alerts on the news. That when there's a news flash about a highway lawn sprinkler that's managed to get itself pointing into the street. And you might get your recently waxed Porsche wet if you drive too close to it.

Oh yeah, and one time the sun went away and it rained. That was a rough day.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 4 months ago #12059 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Absent and Tardy list
What the hell am I doing living in CANADA!?! Oh sure, its geologically stable, we're kind and gentle and polite and all that crap, but days like today I marvel at my own choices. I haven't seen the sun in three days. We have four distinct seasons to mark the passage of time through the year, which I like, but one of them, winter, SUCKS! I imagine you see alot of snowbirds (older Canadians who flee winter for warmer climes in droves) down your way around this time of year. If I can ever get ahead a little in the pocket, I may become one.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 4 months ago #12061 by Second Chance
Nah, not too many. We have armed guards at the CA border to prevent those sorts of shenanigans. As well as an extensive propaganda campaign that CA is a land of ultra-liberal fruits and nuts to prevent people from wanting to come here. But actually, quite the opposite is true. I mean, Schwarzenegger won the gubernatorial election by a landslide. And he's a republican. Doing a damn good job too.

But he still must work with what California has. Disneyland. So any unauthorized attempts to enter the state will be met with:

<font size="3"> SCRAMBLE THE FAIRIES!!! </font id="size3">
www.lovable-idiots.com/gfg/Sounds/scramble.wav

Why scramble the fairies for just one person?
www.lovable-idiots.com/gfg/Sounds/scramble2.wav

More
19 years 4 months ago #12093 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Absent and Tardy list
Wow, what a Christmas! :D

Just got the signed contract and my airline ticket in the mail!
I'll be flying into LA on Sunday, Jan. 16th and starting work on Monday the 17th.

During the next 3 weeks, I'll be very busy "dispersing" my household and packing stuff up to freight it over.
Meanwhile, I'll drop in here sporadically and keep an eye on things, hoping that Second Chance can make some progress on the models in the meantime.

It'll take a couple of weeks to get settled in the States, get a good internet connection and stuff like that, so we should be back into business around early Feb. (after the Super Bowl game).
Don't worry, I've already got triple backups of everything in the Starwars mod and one of them will be in my carry-on baggage.

Meanwhile the best of wishes for all you guys: Have a very happy and merry Christmas!

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site