I-War3???

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12757 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic I-War3???
There was a thread on this forum where someone contacted Ataris legal department and didnt get anywhere. Those rights are probably split between Atari, and the guys that took care of PS when it dissolved.

And even if Atari was in a position to release those rights, they will look to the long term. Space sims are dead, but everything moves in cycles. In 2 or 3 years time, Iwar3 might be the Next Big Thing, and they dont want to risk giving the rights away just because its not presently worth much.

The PS team would be worth something even without the rights to make IWar - they created Iwar, they can create something better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12774 by Stephen Robertson PS
Replied by Stephen Robertson PS on topic I-War3???
Well what was the Particle Systems team has been disbanded for six months now, nearly all the staff have new jobs (including me).

I didn't (and still don't) want to discuss any ideas I had for I-War 3 (and I had lots!), just in case I can ever work on the series again. That's unlikely, but I can dream, can't I? :D

I'm not sure what's happened about the rights to I-War, though Atari still at least partly owns them. It's interesting that Atari are now actively promoting the web game Edge Of Chaos online, which is based on the PC game. So it looks like they're still keeping the game universe alive, even if only as a web game.

You can play it here:
eoc.dialin.co.uk/

Be warned it's addictive.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.