I-War 2 on Funhaus

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #19787 by schmatzler
The Funhaus guys just played I-War 2 as part of their "Demo Disk" video series. ;)

Of course, they fucked up really hard. But oh well...nobody plays that game without a joystick and wins! ;-)

The game starts around 11min.

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #19788 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic I-War 2 on Funhaus
Uh, I really hate to blow the wind out of your sails (lie), but...
When I spent 9 months playing the story on me ancient piece of overpriced black plastic laptop, I used a PS2 keyboard to have access to the number pad. I got even better than my brother with a Logitek Extreme 3d Pro (which is what I use now, and it is certainly much better.)
Basically, I played the whole story without a joystick. Stopped blowing up once I learned my limits. Got through act 3 without ever dying except at alien hands (or weird energy spiky tentacle thingys.)
I still switch to keyboard only now and then to spice up the challenge.
I kid thee not.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #19789 by schmatzler
Replied by schmatzler on topic I-War 2 on Funhaus
I guess you played it for days and days... :) That experience should make up for the weird controls :P

But I think most people wouldn't have the patience to die over and over again until they have their keyboard under control. IW2 has been designed for a joystick and I personally couldn't imagine playing it without one.

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 9 months ago #19792 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic I-War 2 on Funhaus
I hate it when people make really good points...
You're right. After blowing up without firing a shot at the Touchdown tour in Act 0, I spent a month playing Instant action to make sure they wouldn't blow me up again. I did get pretty darn good, but it took forever.
I'm a really stubborn person I guess...

--IronDuke

P.S. The moral of this story - never brag on the Internet. Someone will have it better than you.
P.P.S. The reverse is also true - never whine on the Internet. Someone will have it worse than you, making self pity useless.

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #19793 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic I-War 2 on Funhaus
To be honest, I found the video to be downright painful. I agree that I-War (1 and 2) should never be played without a joystick, and I'd also like to add that the games should not be played without any preparation just for kick's sake. For me, it wasn't even fun watching those guys fail hard.

More
8 years 9 months ago #19795 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic I-War 2 on Funhaus
I'm about as good with a keyboard as I am with a joystick, but it is more fun and immersive with the joystick (and also on a desktop, instead of a laptop). In the video, I noticed the guys were having some trouble with targeting. Obviously, at 12:37, they thought they were locked onto a target but weren't. Later on, at about 13:00, they were firing without an enemy targeted. So yeah, a little preparation is essential. Besides, I don't think you can save in the demo, so when they get destroyed, they would have to start over.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel