Getting shot to bits!

More
21 years 7 months ago #2751 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Getting shot to bits!
The first time I played this mission I didn't think about the pods floating nearby. I was armed with a pirated heavy pbc and my T-fighters had, I think, cryo pbcs. Thought I was pretty tough... I attacked the gunstar and station by cruising past at 1800 kps (flight assist turned off) and blasting at it. Took about ten runs on each, but hardly ever took any damage at all...very hard for an enemy to hit you at those speeds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 7 months ago #2766 by SKYBLUE13
Replied by SKYBLUE13 on topic Getting shot to bits!
I understand about the cargo stuff but i'm still getting blasted to pieces. My wingmen are crap. I must really suck at the whole combat thing!

More
21 years 7 months ago #2771 by Shane
The wingmen on this mission aren't really strong, and the combined firepower of the station, the gunstar, and the marauder ships make a lethal combination. There are many ways to accomplish this mission. Here's one: Try to split them up.

When you approach within about 40-50 km of the station, disengage your autopilot and tell your wingmen to halt [press 6]. Then move ahead yourself to a range of about thirty km, and fire one seeker or harrower missile at each marauder ship. The ships will then leave the station and persue you. Run back to your wingmen and, when the first marauder ship opens fire on you, select the nearest enemy and tell them to distroy it. The combined firepower of you and your wingmen will make quick work of it. Then, as soon as it's toast, target the next enemy and so on and so on until there are no more marauder ships.

After the ships are destroyed, stop your wingmen from engaging the station or the gunstar by using the Wingman Halt command again. Then, move in a circular route (you want to stay out of the gunstar and station's field of fire) to the cargo pods and dock with one. Use the cargo pods to destroy the gunstar. It should take about two pods. Then do the same to the station.

The hardest thing then is not to cut it too close and smash into the station after releasing the cargo.

Oh yeah, if you're really worried about taking fire from the station and gunstar while launching a pod at them, set your power distribution levels (the tri) to shields and propulsion.

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by - Shane on 29 Sep 2002 19:31:56

More
21 years 7 months ago #2775 by wraith.uk
Replied by wraith.uk on topic Getting shot to bits!
i took out the corvettes reasonably easily. After that, i told all my wingmen to attack the gunstar, as well as the turretfighters. I then made high speed passes past the gunstar untill it was dead. After that, when i docked to a crate, the station didn't shoot at me, so i just reversed into it. You can get quite close before you release the pod, then thrust away as_fast_as_possible to avoid the blast.

PS - i used one of the neutron-something crates, it only took 1, and i got jaffs to grab the rest :D

More
21 years 7 months ago #2776 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
why waste the precious cargo. I (I have ELite Mod) stoped a fair distance away and launched a Mining Charge into the centre of the Cutter formation. They then came to me where I took them out with a little help from a gattling cannon and 4 tugs 8D.

I then aproched the station when suddenly these cargo crates popped up. I reduced my signature alot and then hid behind the crates. I fired the two remaining Mining Charges into the gunstar to push it away. I then kept my distance and linded up my crosshair. Fired a large salvo of Gnats into the station and it when BOOM! 8D
I then took my heavy corvette on a hunting mission for the gunstar (wouldn't want the Maruders to just retive it and use it again) and accelerated into it, firing the last of my gnat rockets. The dopler effect ment that they pratically all hit the hapless gunstar at the same moment. I then went back and got ALL the pods.
I love the heavy corvette. Ready for anything!

More
21 years 7 months ago #2779 by Shane
Um....you shouldn't have the heavy corvette yet. This mission is in Act I...