fun with Antimatter

More
21 years 7 months ago #17562 by SaiPuckus
Yep, EoC is by far the coolest game i've played on my computer. I'm about 3 missions away from beating it now for the first time, i'm a late comer, i bought it in July of 2002 for my new gaming computer. I remember years abo i bought a Game called Privateer and never did beat it, my computer was a 486dx266 at the time with 4 whopping megs of ram and it was still too slow to have fun with. i was like, 13, and now The great folks at particle systems have created a similar (but much better) game that allowed me to fulfill a childhood wish of being a space pirate and hero of the galaxy and all that stuff. great effort on behalf of everyone involved.

and yeah, like all good games it had a couple of glitches and script errors (easily fixed by backing up missions before embarking on another) and a few quirky flaws (once i hit the spacebar to skip a cut scene and all the sudden the massive battle i was supposed to enter was already over and i had won.) But what kind of fun would a computer be if'n you did'nt have to tinker with it, right ?

I have'nt played any multiplayer games, i've got a 57600 baud modem, no ethernet or anything fast, i'd still love to whoop some ass online if i could, and i've not yet downloaded any mods except the patch14.6 but believe me i will. This game is like a whole universe in and of itself. Firefrost alone is remarkable. In fact the game was so large that i did end up having to follow a walkthrough to figure some things out when the instructions (or lack thereof) were to vague. Also i thought there should be a love story element between Cal and one of the other pirate chicks, you know, then whoever he likes is killed in battle turning Cal cold and blood-thirsty, haha. It is a very mission oriented game without as much story line as other PlayStation style games i've played (Final Fantasy 7 comes to mind.) But all in all i've got no real complaints, i got exactly what i wanted, a space fighting game with pirates and aliens. And these days to get exactly what you want is rare.
anyways, great game. Here's looking forward to I-War 3. i've already got my money in my hand.

Sai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 7 months ago #2860 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic fun with Antimatter
You think you're having fun now, wait until you delve into modding it.:D

More
21 years 7 months ago #2866 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with Antimatter
Ahhhh! Privateer! The memories come flooding back. :D Somewhere between Elite and Wing Commander.

I have an old compaq that I still keep around to run Privateer and Privateer/Righteous Fire. I think it tops out at a whopping 12 meg ram (upgraded, of course, from the 4 meg it came with).

Privateer II was ok, but very, very different from the first. Many who enjoyed the original hated the sequel. There were some really good features though.

But, of course, you're right. EoC seems to have beaten anything that has ever come out. Hopefully, Particle Systems can be talked into either an expansion pack using the same engine or a sequel. With only two space sims out (I-War and EoC) they set the bar pretty high for the competition. It'd be a shame to let a honor like that go to waste...wouldn't it?

More
21 years 7 months ago #2869 by Stephen Robertson PS
Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately we've got no plans to do any I-War sequels at the moment, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Particle Systems
Independence War Website

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

More
21 years 7 months ago #2872 by Buecken
Replied by Buecken on topic fun with Antimatter
yup. eoc is really kicking asses. But lots of its missions are very frustrating, cause you don't have enough time to fix out what you gonna have to do.