Help! Die very quickly at first fight

More
20 years 9 months ago #6620 by blackbeard
Hi LazyEngineer --

Blackbeard again. I came on this forum as a newbie not long ago, and the best advice I received from the "expert" pilots was to experiment with the flight assist key ("N") and to learn to use ALL your thrusters/drive/autopilots. The lateral thrusters are extremely important (and it's easy to forget them). Other ships seem to find it harder to hit you when you're traveling sideways -- most effectively in a circle around them. I also learned to be aggressive -- especially when in comes to piracy. Don't hold back; plan your attack and follow it through. What's the worst that can happen, after all?

Are your sensors faulty? It looks dangerous out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 9 months ago #6629 by Chloé
Ummm... Blackbeard...

What's the worst that can happen, after all?

Well, the worst that can happen is, after all, that you get shot up and lose everything you've, um, liberated, for hours on end, because you didn't jump back to base to save your game. :)

That's the worst that happens to me at least one time a session... until I re-realize that the base is there for a reason... ;)

Chloé

Et ecce equus pallidus, et qui sedebat desuper nomen illi mors

More
20 years 9 months ago #6630 by blackbeard
Chloe: I was thinking more in terms of like really being dead. I've experienced what you're talking about several times. It's an extra special bummer when you lose something you've waited a couple of hours for and REALLY need[8] for a trade. Even worse, forgetting to go back and save is ususally a result of carelessness and plain old greed.

Are your sensors faulty? It looks dangerous out there.

More
20 years 9 months ago #6642 by Chloé
Hiya, Blackbeard

Right, in terms of RL all you lose is some sleep. At least I certainly do hope nobody drops dead from losing several cargos of raw sewage ;)

And I concur, most of the time losing tons of 'liberated' stuff is a result of carelessness and greed. But sometimes it is the result of good old-fashioned chance or accident, if you prefer. I remember happily blazing away at Maas ships for about two hours, collecting cargo like there's no tomorrow, dodging bullets, missiles and whatever they threw at me. I got this warm, fuzzy feeling of invincibility, even immortality (in game terms, of course). Then I decided to try another L-Point. And the instant I entered the bloody f***ing thing, another ship, just leaving hyperspace, just ran me over... sheesh, some people. ;)

I'm trying to make it a habit to RTB as soon as get two, maybe three full loads for Jafs, but then... sometimes good old greed gets the upper hand and I keep hanging around (You know: "Whoaa, that's two pods of gold ore. Let's see if there's more of this stuff around." or: "Why, oh why can't anyone carry what I *really* need: potatoes. Ooooookay. I'm going to stick around until I get them.") and, eventually, I get shot to pieces.

Chloé

P.S.: Sometimes stuff similar to this even happens in real life. Too bad you can't just reload, isn't it? :)