AeroSpace Simulation Project

More
20 years 1 month ago #18004 by SoupDragon
Did anyone miss this or am I losing it?

AeroSpace Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9384 by MajorTom

Originally posted by SoupDragon

or am I losing it?

Well. If you are, I am too. I can't remember seeing anything about this before either.

There is even a link to i-war2.com on the site there.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 month ago #9385 by SoupDragon
Phew! Thanks Major' God I'm even to old to web browse these days :).

I picked it up though my stats. It looks quite impressive. Never was sure about spaceships having wings et al. But the other designs look neat.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9386 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic AeroSpace Simulation Project
But it kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it?

It had to have existed for some time. I've done numerous searches on the web (sometimes for very specific terms from EoC... like Tariq or biobomber or Cal Johnston). And I never encountered this site.

I was floored. There's someone else out there modding EoC?

How strange that that site should have slipped through everyone's nets. :D

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 month ago #9387 by MajorTom
Qi Qi posted about it 2 or three days ago in the ina. That was the first I'd seen of it.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 month ago #9389 by Second Chance
Qi Qi posted about it here in the modeling section 9 days ago. I was stunned to see such a high quality work completely missed by this community. I wondered why he wasn't promoting it here. But then we started talking about the fact that Qi Qi hadn't seen Battlestar Galactica and I guess no one checked it out (other than me :D).

Never was sure about spaceships having wings et al.

Cars never needed fins either, but they sure were popular. I suppose realistically the most efficient shape for a spacecraft is a box, but it sure would be ugly.;)

In defense of wings though, they're good for many things; carrying additional loads externally for example. And they look nifty!:D A good example is the old Soviet Mil Mi 24 helicopter gunships. They had huge long wings (for a helicopter) coming out the sides. These were not equipped with flight control surfaces, they were used to carry ordnance, and provided a better field of fire with that ordnance. Wait a minute. Good grief, what am I thinking? You won't find a gunship that doesn't have at least some kind of winglet used for this purpose. Even the old Bell UH-1's (which didn't use actual airfoil shaped winglets) had long extended bars serving the same purpose. The same goes for the modern Blackhawks. Or, as a sci-fi example, take the Tie Fighter. It's wings are supposedly some kind of heat dissapation device used to cool the enormously powerful engines of such a tiny ship. And the Tie Interceptor took it one step further by mounting guns on the forward sections of theirs. I want to cite the X-Wing as an example but there's no point. They're moveable wings are actually pointless. Since the weapons all have an auto-adjusted converging field of fire (like EoC :)) it doesn't matter where they fire from. But it does bring me to another good aircraft example. It was either the Curtiss P-40 or the North American P-51 (I'm a little rusty on this so bear with me) that were eqipped with wing guns that fired straight ahead rather than having converging fire. With four or six guns spread out on the wings it meant a large increase in your chances of hitting the enemy with at least one gun. Now, in defense of the X-Wing, at least spreading the guns out prevents them from being destroyed in pairs.

Point: Wings aren't always just for lift. [^]

Ok, now that I've hijacked the hell out of this thread; We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum post about the Aerospace Project. Thank You.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4