Player use of Turrets

More
19 years 11 months ago #10135 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Player use of Turrets

The player is supposed to be upsidedown in relation to the ship, not upsidedown in the cockpit. There really isn't any reason not to use the same model for any turrets we have. If the cockpit model had a radically different shape at the top than at the bottom then I could see flipping it to try to achieve structural symmetry, but since the model is the same all around I don't see the point. Good thinking, though.

I was refering to the starfury cockpit.
If you look at it, you'll see it not semetrical. The EOC cockpit does have an up and down side, At least enough (I think) to make switching from the pilots seat to the lower turret noticable

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10136 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Hot4Darmat

I've got that mod somewhere, so I'll have a look and see what I can learn about the cockpit graphic.

--
Hot4Darmat

The cockpit will be in the new version of the the mod later today so you can DL it together with the mod update

More
19 years 11 months ago #10140 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Player use of Turrets
Thanks MT. That'll save me some digging. I'll wait and dl it from the newest version later.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 10 months ago #10886 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

I see your point about about the cockpits. The real problem is, that we have no way of knowing which cockpit belongs to which ship. Otherwise it would hardly be difficult to say; "Ok, the player selected ship X. So copy ship X's cockpit into the avatar\cockpit\ folder. The game will then automatically use the right cockpit. In fact, why not make it work? But not as a subsim. Why don't we put the custom cockpit for each ship in that ships avatar folder with its other model files, then have flux look in the avatar folder for the cockpit files and copy them into the avatars\cockpit\ folder. Then, anytime we add a new ship to the mod, as long as we put the cockpit in the avatar folder, it will automatically load the correct cockpit. And code it so that if there is no cockpit found, the default is used. Sound reasonable?

I'm going to post this over in the cockpit thread ...

beat you to it ;)

flux cannot copy files, or rename them or move them.

if we don't want to use the subsim version with the flashing docking icon, the only thing I can think of atm is:

Originally posted by MajorTom

Another possibility might be something like Shane and I did on the Verona freighter: Make the cockpit as the avatar of a class icturret (flipped "up" by 90 degrees). Then we could place the turret per ini file on the crew null. If that works at all (note the if!) we wouldn't have the docking icon flashing but probably won't have any cockpit sway anymore either.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10890 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Player use of Turrets
LOL, you speedy guy. :)

I posted in the cockpit thread in 3D modeling though. But I'm glad you posted here, I was searching like crazy for this thread. I couldn't figure out where it was and was beginning to think I imagined it. This is the thread I wanted to refer to about wanting to do custom ship cockpits.

Damn, I forgot flux can't manipulate files. Damn you and your "reality" :p! I'll bet that if we close our eyes real tight and wish real hard, we can copy the files by will alone (or hurt our eyes real bad :D).

Oh well, so much for that idea. [xx(] I'll make a note of it in the other thread.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4