Crediting points for Shanes Bomb

More
19 years 11 months ago #18103 by MajorTom
You may have noticed, in the last dev. version, that you didn't get any points for killing something with Shanes bomb.

Thats fixed now, but while doing it something came to mind:

When a bomb explodes, the game itself kills the objects and can't identify the bomb or it's launcher as the "last_attacker" of any sims killed.

To fix that I gave the target of the bomber an object property "got_nuked_by". So, if the bomber was sucessfull, his target goes through it's death script: if no last_attacker is identified the script can check to see if the object property exists and then identify the player who nuked it.

Well, the bomb could kill other players too (friendly and enemy) and not just the target.
With the current pog any players killed by the bomb would be identified as a suicide and no points would be credited.

Should we change that?
I could run through all the ships in the blast radius of the bomb and give them a "got_nuked_by" property too.
Then the points would be credited (and decremented on teammate deaths) to the bomber pilot and his team.

I see no danger in the wrong player getting acredited because the query for a last_attacker has priority over the query for the object property. On the other hand some spoilsport could chuck a bomb into the middle of a dogfight, and even get points for doing it!

Should we leave it at "suicide" and thus no points for everything but the targeted sim or not? I can't come to a decision.

What do you guys think?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10184 by Second Chance
I don't think regular points should be awarded for bomb targets, this could lead to bomber pilots dominating the field in points (if they're good, or looking like complete losers if they're not). I think instead, there should be a "Targets Bombed" or a "Bombing Points" stat. With all sims getting a "got_nuked_by" property. Allowing bomber pilots to be competitive in their field without interfering with the fighter pilots point spread. This will more accurately reflect skill in the different types of flying.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #10189 by MajorTom
Lol, we're talking about 2 different things again already, but it's cool because it inspires lots of ideas for improvement.

You're talking about (published?) stats.
Currently there is no means for gathering, storing and publishing player stats or skill levels in EOC MP. We could write the game points and player names to flux on the hosts client, at the end of a game, but there isn't much you can do with them because:

a) There is no central server/facility to glean the stats from active servers and store them.
b) I'm not aware of any way to transmit the stats from a host to a central facility with the netcode we have (though it may be possible)

I think we should wait until say 50 mod fans petition us to set up some kind of stats, before we start thinking about this seroiusly.

I am talking about the points towards the end of a specific game:
Like "first team with 150 points wins the game!".

i.e the game ends abruptly when the point limit is reached. (so its not dependent on the host saying "I've had enough of this")
If the bomber points aren't counted you could never reach the end of a game because he might blow everything up and no one else could get any points. [V]

The question in this scenario is: should a Bomber and his Team get points if he throws a bomb at a mob of fighters in a dogfight (killing everyone including teammates). Or, should he only get points for the sim he targeted the bomb at?

More
19 years 11 months ago #10190 by Second Chance
Oh, well in that case I think you're going to have to include points for everything the bomb destroys (to avoid the above said problem of the bomb destroying too much, and not leaving enough points to finish the game). Unless you think respawning will negate that problem.

Sorry for getting ahead of myself again. Most of my MP experience comes from FPS DM's, and I thought that EoC MP gave individual point award stats at the end of the game.

I really need to play MP more.

*edit*
I do think it would be really cool to have viewable competitive point scores at the end of the game. Both for personal best and competitive best.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10196 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

I really need to play MP more.

*edit*
I do think it would be really cool to have viewable competitive point scores at the end of the game. Both for personal best and competitive best.

Yes, you really should!

Do you mean like this:

Edit: link removed

That screen is shown at the end of a game.

Your points, your teams points and your name are in blue ( The other team and it's players are red)

The reason my name is the only one there, is because bots are not named in the final game values but thier points count for your team. (See the stats at the top)

This time I was out with my bot "wedge and the 2 of us kicked some imperial *$$, namely "Darth" and "Palapin".
As you see I got all the cargo pods while Wedge covered me. I only had to shoot a couple of pesky Imps

More
19 years 11 months ago #10199 by Second Chance
Yes! Yes! That's exactly what I meant. (I've never actually fiished an MP game [:I]) But "Frags" should be "Kills" (more correct combat terminology) and it should also have "Targets Bombed" for the bomber pilots, "Craft Repaired" for CUV pilots, and so on. The whole point being a way to measure your effectiveness at your job. So, as I said above, fighter pilots can compare their kill scores to see who the best combat pilot is, bomber pilots can compare their bombing kill scores to see who the best bomber pilot is, CUV pilots can compare their repair scores, etc, etc. And we can give "Medals" for particularly high personal scores.

If it did go this way, then I think that only the bomb target should go on the "Targets Bombed" score and non-target kills (from the bomb) should go on the normal "Kills" (Frags) score.

Doesn't anybody else like this idea [:(]?

The reason my name is the only one there, is because bots are not named in the final game values but thier points count for your team.

Sounds good to me. :)

This time I was out with my bot "wedge and the 2 of us kicked some imperial *$$, namely "Darth" and "Palapin".

Palapin? Is he related to Palpatine? :D