CUV Bot code implimentation

More
19 years 11 months ago #10469 by MajorTom
I've got the code for the random placement done now and tested.
it works fine:

Note:
For the moment, during testing, I'm using the "arena center" as the reference point for spawning instead of the players base. Thats because I haven't made map specific scripts yet, and the players base doesn't always have the same name, or position on every map.
(Map specific scripts are just a copy and rename thing, with no real scripting work involved)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10641 by MajorTom

Originally posted by MajorTom

Repair of a ship is dynamic, depending on the no. of times the player has docked to a CUV. (thats reset if the player docks at base)

After re-writing the code 4 times this is now working properly, but it could be of less real value than the processor time it requires:

The issue is, clients can't monitor the number of times another client has docked (especially if they join a game thats in progress). So the processor work for monitoring has to be done on the server and the valid repair rate transmitted to all clients each time someone docks.

It does work now, but I'm concerned we may be useing valuable resources for something thats not really that important? (As compared to hit point and damage calculations).

The preformance hit isn't noticable in a lan game with 3 clients but may well be an issue in an i-net game with 12 players.

As an alternative, we could change the dynamic repair to a standard value of, say 50%, when docking to a CUV and 100% when docking to a base.

What do you guys think?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10645 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic CUV Bot code implimentation
Keep it simple.
50% for docking a CUV and 100% for docking the base will do.
The 50% may be changed after playing some test MP's if required or necessary. Let's try it with these settings.

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 10 months ago #10656 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by Tarcoon

Keep it simple.

He is right. Furthermore the balancing is easier with this 'cause there only has to be changed one value.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10790 by Second Chance
LOL, isn't that close to how the CUV was originally, before this discussion?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10804 by MajorTom
At the moment it is scripted to do dynamic repairs. We'll leave it like that for further testing

The reason we are re-discussing this is because of the tests the three of us have made indicate that the dynamic repair function might be causing lag.