Disruptor Class bug

More
19 years 10 months ago #18182 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
When you are hit by an Disruptor your weapons and shields and engines go down. However, you still slow down to 000m/s. Is there anyway to make it so that when one is disrupted, the current newtonian values when you were hit by the distruptor contiune, if you were spinning you still spin, if you were going sidewards at 532m/s, you continue to do so?

I am thinking perhaps crashing the Power of the Ring down to 0 would be one way of creating that affect, it would also mean that the Sensors would shut down, and a 'start up' would actually *feel* like the engine is starting up again as all of the systems would have to recharge to become 'online'.

For achillies missiles i do not mind so much that one slows down and can F6 to face the nearest enemy (assuming the sensors are still operational) as it is ment to only drop your shields and your Main engine.

I would like to know if there is some way to make Full disruption, fully disrupt...

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #11052 by Vladimir
Replied by Vladimir on topic Disruptor Class bug
Good idea, although I personally think that if disruptors disrupted every system, especially the reactor, it would destroy the ship and kill the crew but if I´m not wrong disruptors are used to disable ships and not to destroy them. If reactor systems were disrupted the magnetic field containing 100.000.000¤K plasma would fail, also the emergency plasma venting systems and the ship will be vaporised. If the engines were shut down completely the ship could drift into stations or slower ships causing serious accidents. So I think that disruptors only disable the pilot control over the ship, not the reactor or "automatic braking systems". Although I don´t understand well how EMP can reach to the ship systems at all through all this armour (remember: layer of diamond-like carbon, layer of superconductor, layer of metal probably some 0.5...2 metre thick, all strenghtened with carbon nanotubes).

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

More
19 years 10 months ago #11054 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Well, any system would have fail safes, as in...in the event of system failure then all of the engergy would be 'wasted' safely. That would almost definatly mean that the system would be rigged to have dead-man switches. That is, under the event of the control system rendered useless, the failure systems would automatically dump all energy safely into space (oo, that is something to add to the manual).

Also not all ships are powered by a fully blown ring. It wouldnt kill the crew instantly as they are in cockpits/suits and life support isnt not down permantly, just the duration of the disruption.

As to reguards to serious accidents? Welll...yeah? and your point is? >8p The larger the ship the less the disruption is a problem, and i think that drifting though space makes perfect sense. The police tend to use achillies anyway to disrupt things.

More
19 years 10 months ago #11057 by Vladimir
Replied by Vladimir on topic Disruptor Class bug
When a 150 metres 20000 tons ship drifts into a staton where women and children are or to the bridge of cruiser at the speed of 1000 m/s it should be considered a serious accident... And to vent out the plasma or jettison the reactor or lifepod you need power to open hatches, unlock some clamps, even explosive bolts need detonators which usually are electrical, but EMP disables all electrical devices, melts the cables, creates a serious mess.

Never-EVER forget your real life, though.

More
19 years 10 months ago #11058 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Oh, it would be a serious accident for sure, but the thing is ...is not that the nature of disrupting a huge ship? It is now out of control?

Also, it would only need to vent out the plasma, the reaction itself is an active process, and can be stoped semi instantly, the only issue then is dumping the excess energy from the magnetic coils. Not to mention that they would be solid state magnets with the subtle control system being energy requireing. The reactor coil itself would still contain the plasma in a stable enough way to be vented , even without a constant stream of power. And to vent it, all it needs is a 'hole' that goes 'out'. The hatch to this hole can be controled with a dead-man-switch, meaning that an EMP attack would trigger the entire system to dump its energy. It is a 'soft' take down. You ar enot blowing a hole in the reactor, just making it shut down.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11102 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Disruptor Class bug
It's highly unlikely that the speed reduction is a "bug." I'm sure the idea was to keep the combatant in the immediate area for gameplay purposes.

And since we're talking about spaceships, wouldn't a disrupting weapon only need to temporarily scramble the computer system? If it is designed as a police-style "soft" take-down weapon, you're going to want to do as little damage as possible. It also seems like it would only be an effective weapon against relatively small ships (unless you had an extremely accurate delivery system), and so not really a useful military weapon.

Good points about the reactor though, Hemp Monkey. But since Vladimir is also right about simply wanting to disable ships, not destroy them or cause widespread damage to the area, the weapon would likely be designed around whatever system it's meant to disrupt and not affect anything else.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4