Disruptor Class bug

More
19 years 9 months ago #11103 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Well, It make sense that the achillies missiles is a 'very soft' take down weapon, and the Disruptor is a 'harder' take down weapon...but still non-leathal. Reducing the power to all systems is hard....but non-lethal. As for pulsar...well...in my mod its a rather rather nasty NASTY little weapon that one, one-shot slow and ment for disabling capital ships. However the disruption it gives is still full (although one would be adviced to *not* give it to fighters).

The point is, although it would be nice for the disruptor to only take out computer systems and such, ..which is good, the other thing it woudl need to do is take out the manuvering thrustors and main drive. I am absolutly certain that it should do so. Achillies is a different story, but a full disruptor should...fully disrupt.

As to the point about imdiate area of combat....its space. If the player moves then the police ships move and take it out as well. I think it would be auesom to be spinning helplessly though space as the police make sure you are never a public disturbence agian.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11107 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Disruptor Class bug

Well, It make sense that the achillies missiles is a 'very soft' take down weapon, and the Disruptor is a 'harder' take down weapon

No, the Achilles missile is a hard take down weapon meant for destruction. It momentarily disables a large vessels shielding so heavy weapons can do more destructive damage. It is intended to aid in the destruction of a ship, not it's capture. As it says in the Encyclopedia: "Ideal for opening the defences of heavy vessels like cruisers, which usually pack two shields per facing." The Disruptor missile however. . . well, let's look at the Encyclopedia again: "Marketed as a police 'capture system' by the Dester Corporation. . ."This makes the Disruptor missile more of a " very soft" take down weapon system.

. . .it woudl need to do is take out the manuvering thrustors and main drive.

Why? Without the computer to control them they can't do anything anyway.

. . .a full disruptor should...fully disrupt.

Define dirsupt. If you mean it should knock out every system of every kind on the ship, that's very different from simply disabling the ship with minimum effort. And isn't it also a little pointless? The idea would be to disable a target ship with the least amount of effort and danger to the disabler. But let me hear your definition of disrupted before I go any further. I might not be getting what you're saying, and we may simply be talking about different things.

As to the point about imdiate area of combat....its space.

No, it isn't. It's a volume of very-limited-size game area. Believe it or not, it will run out eventually. And calculations get more and more inaccurate and screwed-up the further you go from the center.

If the player moves then the police ships move and take it out as well.

This isn't the only way it might happen. Game designs occasionally rely on the player being in a certain area. I think this is a reasonable way to make sure the player doesn't accidentally leave the area without meaning to, and break the script.

Sometimes, what's more realistic can interfere with the gameplay. I've learned this lesson hard and well through my arguments with MajorTom about some of the SW mod features.

But again, I'm only guessing that this is one of the reasons the ships stop when disrupted.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #11120 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
The arguments about the functions of the missiles are accurate. However, in-game the achilles stops the drive systems on a craft. And brings you to a halt.

Disruptors do the exact same thing, except they stop you from Firing weapons as well.

As to the point about space combat... I cannot see how the it would cause a problem if the player temporaily loses his abuilty to move for a short while. I have tested this by getting into combat...and then Shutting down the engines as i go (took a bit of quick keyboard taping whilst simultaneously moving with the mouse to get it to work). All it resulted was this cool affect when suddenly the targest go off radar...your spinning helplessly though space and they chase after you, firing away. Worked fine in the missions i tested as well, even in advanced patcom.

My definition of disrupted is that the systems would be forcefully rendered inopperative for a period of time. The suggestion of dumping the ships power was just the way of making the ship lose control over its newtonian tragetory.

If a bit of Pog could fix the achillies missile so that all it did was bring down shields..then great.
But i would also like the Disruptor to take down the ships abilty to move, because it is realistic.

How can it be possiable for you to be able to come to a 'stop' (which is only relative in space...game engine detials aside) yet at the same time *not* be able to move forward? It is space...nothing resisting you...so if the computer can make you *spend energy* comming to a *relative* stop (even though you dont actually want to) yet cannot make you spend the exact same energy to move out of the way of danger...well...thats a bug

The disruptors should stop right then and there, your abilty to move forward/come to a stop/change your newtonian properties.
The achillies should *not* shut downt he engine, just the shields. Also, you can press 'F6' to face a targeted enemy and fire the weapons, but you cannot use the normal controls to change direciton...

More
19 years 9 months ago #11124 by Second Chance

However, in-game the achilles stops the drive systems on a craft. And brings you to a halt.

Well that's just silly. I agree, it shouldn't do that. I didn't realize it did, thanks for pointing that out.

I cannot see how the it would cause a problem. . .

This is a design issue. I didn't say it definitely would be a problem, I said it might be there to prevent a problem. You can't test this point without knowing what the problem to test for actually is. As players, we don't know the potential problems this can cause. I was merely saying that a possible explanation for the ability to stop when disrupted may have been a design decision made during testing. If the testers said, "Hey, we're having a problem with disrupted ships breaking the script," or some such thing, then a decision may have been made to have them stop instead of drift. It's only meant as a possibility.

My definition of disrupted is that the systems would be forcefully rendered inopperative for a period of time.

But how many systems? Which systems? That's what I was after.

If a bit of Pog could fix the achillies missile so that all it did was bring down shields..then great.
But i would also like the Disruptor to take down the ships abilty to move, because it is realistic.

Agreed. It looks like they mixed the code up for these missiles. But it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Full disruption and shield disruption are, I believe, seperate functions.

How can it be possiable for you to be able to come to a 'stop'. . .thats a bug

You're right, it's not possible. But see the point I made before about reality interfering with playability. It's not a "bug," as the game was intended to do this. It was a design decision. If you don't like it, you can call it a design flaw; but it's not a bug.

I'm in complete agreement with your last paragraph. It's nothing a little Pog can't take care of. But remember, EoC was intended to be a game, not a hardcore sim of reality in space. If that's what you want, you had better start learing Pog, but good. Because you'll be doing plenty of it.

Just remember, all games ocassionally have to make compromises to be fun.

btw - as I came into this a bit late, I seem to have neglected your original question. My answer is yes, I believe these things should be possible. Are you sure about the Achilles disrupting ship movement? The INI shows shields only. If you're right, then the disruption functions will have to be rewrittten.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11131 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Fulldisruption=0 for achillies
Fulldisruption=1 for disruptors /pulsars.

The way an achillies Disrupts and the way a Disruptor disrupts are actually different in-agme.
I tried to programe things but as my mate said, ''james....your mind with its dyslexia just doesnt comprehend computer code mate. This just is not working''.

As to design bug/flaw defition, i think it was a 'mistake' the way the game currently disrupts things. It is actually fun to be disrupted and find yourself hopelessly spinning though space..hopeing....HOPEING so much that it is not going to be a fatal thing.

This is what i would like to see.

Achilies to take down Shields and only shields and give the 'i am disrupted' sound affects/grafics.

Disruptors to stop the CPU, Sensors, Manuvering thrusters, Main drive, Weapon systems, Shield systems and LDS from functioning tempoarily. Affectivly leaving you 'dead in the water' for a short period of time.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11136 by Second Chance

This is what i would like to see.

Achilies to take down Shields and only shields and give the 'i am disrupted' sound affects/grafics.

Disruptors to stop the CPU, Sensors, Manuvering thrusters, Main drive, Weapon systems, Shield systems and LDS from functioning tempoarily. Affectivly leaving you 'dead in the water' for a short period of time.

That sounds good to me. I hope you can get it to work out. :)