Unable to create a station sim

More
19 years 9 months ago #18210 by lo-tekk
Hi all,
i would like to place a abandoned station somewhere, but nothing shows up. Here's the code:
Code:
hsim installation; installation = Sim.Create( "ini:/sims/stations/Reactor", "Hidden Installation" ); Sim.PlaceAt( installation, waypoint_01 );
These statements work fine with the debris fields , but with stations it fails. Whats wrong with this ?
Thank You !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11400 by GrandpaTrout
Nothing looks wrong with those 3 lines. But there are ton of things we don't know.

You can check to see if (none == installation) to know if the object was created correctly.

If waypoint_01 does not exist, or is not placed, then the station will not be placed.

The reactor is not actually a station, but a ship. This is a good thing really, because POG created stations can cause crashes to desktop. With great reluctance I had to give up using them.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 9 months ago #11402 by lo-tekk
Thank you Gtrout,

its true: little is known about all the possibilities. It seems station handling requires some other
procedure.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11403 by MajorTom
Stations are type iHabitat. You'll notice they have no T_Type (T_ ....) in the ini file. Thats why you can't create them as a normal sim. In order to show up they have to be parented to a map object and require lots of stuff like setting thier allegience, SetArmed, ect. Because of the way they are intertwined they generally cause the game to crash when destroyed or removed.

I always create temporary "stations" as a Gunstar using iShip.Create. (normally you can just add type="T_Gunstar" to the station.ini file under properties) If you want it to fire at anything you'll have to set the faction, install an AiPilot and give it a generic attack order per pog after you've created and placed it.

If you want it to be completly nonfunctional and just abandoned you can also create one as an icCargoPod with T_CargoPod or as an icInertSim with T_Asteroid. If you want to dock to it you can use the stations setup scene and the dockports together with a station avatar and collision hull in the "Asteroid" ini.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #11407 by lo-tekk
Many thanks MajorTom,
this will solve many problems. I wasted hours with this.