Cool Pog Tricks

More
20 years 6 months ago #7558 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Cool Pog Tricks
Fantastic! EricMan, you amaze. This deserves its own thread (but it is a very cool pog trick!).

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9028 by GrandpaTrout
Just finished some testing on culling distances.

Sims that are not protected from culling will be deleted at 400km distance from the player.

Stations are a strange exception. They seem to be marked hidden at this distance, but they are not culled. You cannot see the model with F3, but they do show when using developer mode contact list. Attached child sims are also preserved. Again, they vanish from view, but they still show in the contact list.

Some care must be taken to not create attached child objects twice (or infinite times).

-Gtrout

More
20 years 2 months ago #9034 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Cool Pog Tricks
That means a ship docked to a station won't be culled even if is set as cullable? (because docked sims are effectivly (become) a child when they dock)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #9044 by GrandpaTrout
I don't know about docked ships. I used Sim.AttachChild on a mega pod for the testing. I will give that idea a run now. [Edit] Yes, ships are also preserved. I tried a navy patcom, and it survived the culling that took unconnected ships. Could be useful for building modular stations that are equipped at system start.

I did some testing on the Equality operator. This operation has failed before - refusing to compare two objects as equal when they were not cast to the same type.

But I cannot get the operator to fail under test conditions. So there must be a complicating factor. I would still recommend always using the same type when doing compares. And always placing the same type of objects into sets and lists. (both of these failures have been seen while coding missions). But for now, I cannot create a bit of test code that shows the defect. Darn, because I wanted it for SecondChances manual. It is these kinds of nagging issues that complicate the heck out of a program.

-Gtrout

More
20 years 2 months ago #9163 by Qi Qi
Replied by Qi Qi on topic Cool Pog Tricks
During I made SS, I found that the declare order of import packages by USE mattered. In my case, when i compiled scripts after importing the package of iShipCreation, it reported that the header file was bad. After I adjusted the order of packages imported, it went through.

Besides that, there are also a few wrong function describtions in SDK help file those are not identical with the relevant header files. It is disturbing to be misguided by those ones.

Life is half spent before we know what it is...

More
20 years 2 months ago #9167 by Qi Qi
Replied by Qi Qi on topic Cool Pog Tricks
About Flee function override ,
I want to make an alternative script function to the original flee function, but I don't know how to define such an function. So anybady has any clues? Thanks in advance.