Game locks up under XP, not a sound problem

More
19 years 10 months ago #10115 by Silent Vendetta
It's not just "a" target, it's specifically cargo pods that is setting it off. Granted sometimes I can play for an hour without a problem but then suddenly it freezes, then I can't get past targeting one pod once I restart the comp/game. And yes I use a joystick, don't always use it for targeting but doesn't seem to matter too much.

One more thing I should probably mention, every once in a while the graphics will all go completely haywire. The ship becomes a bundle of lines, planets turn inside out and rip open, everything just goes screwy. I am still able to fly and do everything as normal when that happens, I just have to quit and restart the comp for it to be fixed. Also the text for menus fragment and the letters either seperate or disappear until I restart. As I said doesn't happen anywhere near as often as my other problem, but it does happen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10141 by Glux
Hmm, we've gotta find a solution since you HAVE to play this great game till the end ;)
That Geforce of yours, I know it has an nvidia chipset on it but is it an NVIDIA card? or is it an asus card, or realtek... anyway, if it isn't a true nvidia card, try the drivers from the CARD manufacteror and not the ones from nvidia, which is your CHIPSET manufacteror, hope this helps, good luck!

N.B. If I'm not clear about this, here's my own example.. I have Geforce 4 Ti4600 / Asus V8460 Ultra/TD which means I have a Asus card but with a nVidia chpst

More
19 years 10 months ago #10142 by Glux

Originally posted by MajorTom

Your system specs are ok, you should get good frame rates with that.

Do you have newest versions of the AGP driver (Via 4in1/hyperon?) for your motherboard, and an good driver for your GeForce card?

Does the lock up tend to occur if there are a lot of cargo pods, or other ships on the screen?

Just to be sure: How did you disable the sound for testing?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Don't wanna start a fight with Tommy boy but do not install Via 4in1 Pack if you don't have a mobo with a Via chipset, if you have a mobo with an nForce chipset, then I strongly recommend not installing them ;)

PS: Sorry if I underestimated your computer knowledge :P

More
19 years 10 months ago #10149 by Demiurgo
A friend of mine had similar problems with all kind of games, not EoC, and it was caused by his SCSI CD writer... Maybe you also have one of this babes.

He just "disabled" it from the Windows Control Panel / Hardware and the games started to work OK.

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
19 years 10 months ago #10151 by Silent Vendetta
Na, I don't have a SCSI, I've pretty much narrowed the problem down to being something with the damn cargo pods locking up the comp, how any why, I have no clue, but it's the most consistant thing (95% well, closer to 99% now that I think about it and with all my testing) that I can find. And of course there is not really a way to play through the game again without targeting cargo pods, well, it's annoying.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10157 by Silent Vendetta
I think I have found the problem. In the upper left hand of the screen there is the graphical representation of your current target, it's also where the faces/ships show up when Jafs/cal/whoever is talking. I was able to take that out while leaving the rest of the HUD elements in place, and so far I havn't had a problem with the game locking up when I target a cargo pod. The only problem is I now see no text from that particular element, which means all those options of what to say during the various parts of the game are invisible to me, so this is only a very short term fix.

My new question is this. How can I change the graphical representation of ALL cargo pods/megapods to show either nothing, while still keeping what is in the pod there, or maybe even a whole new set of 3d imagry to represent the pods?