Can we still bring Unstable Space to good port?

More
16 years 9 months ago #19008 by burja2
Hi all,

Couple of questions here waiting for answers:

With GT having left the project (thanks again for his tremendous contribution), what are others project members' intent?

Do they want to recruit new team members? What are the positions/skills needed?

Across this forum, can we find some C/C++/C# programmers for POG? (POG being a "light" version of C programming, most programmers should be able to learn it quickly enough to contribute, no? )

Interested people can leave their contact name through this post (through private messages). SoupDragon should be able to re-route contacts to actual team's members.

we need to talk to whom to get this project on the move again?

Is it possible to get access to US v.11.4 and any supporting docs/files/source codes? (through bit torrent or others means instead of this dead link posted earlier)

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #16542 by cambragol
I am in contact with burja. The gist of his post remains valid. Joco and I were planning to take a look at the code again in August. So this may be good timing on Burja's part.

Without a leader (grandpatrout) we can't move forward much. Neither Joco nor I are really ready to take over as leaders. However we are both willing to contribute to the project.

For people who are seriously commited, or even slightly less so, we can certainly get access to final build. Access to the svn server and bug tracker is also possible, if we can move the project forward again.

In anycase, anyone who wishes to fall in with burja2 and revive this project, can certainly expect support.

More
16 years 9 months ago #16550 by JT
I'm also willing to contribute -- I've been hobby-programming in C++ and D for around ten years and already picked up the basics of POG with a couple plugins -- but can't say I'd be very committed, and absolutely not ready to work as a project leader.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
16 years 8 months ago #16555 by Hot4Darmat
I'm still here, and still feeling a lot of love for this project. I'll help in any meager writing of text way I can (not coding, unfortunately). It'll have to be a low and slow burn kind of commitment, but I'd love to help in whatever way I can.

I check this forum about once a month (more if stuff's happening). I'm insanely busy in RL with kids and business. I still look very fondly on my days of dedication to the I-war universe....and this awesome community.

More
16 years 8 months ago #16565 by burja2
Gents,

I'm offering to take the lead (I doubt that my PMP will be useful though ;-) ) but surely my project management skills and team leading experience in agile projects should be much helpful. I also managed remote teams in various time zones. Interested ? ;-)

Hot4Darmat, I have the same config. as you (aka 2 kids and a business to run), so in order to save time and automate coding, I've rebuild on Sparx's Enterprise Architect all POG's base classes described in the documentation (including parameters and textual descriptions) in UML.

With this repository as a baseline, I'm now trying to build UML templates in order for a n00b3 programmer to generate most of the code and thus enhances contributions from others forum's members. For example, we could build a game's scenario in an activity diagram then synch actions with sequence diagrams. Class diagrams providing the bulk of the generation. This my initial "intent" so far. I'll see the result by getting a sample of a typical POG source script (from original game) and test my little code generator. If any coding standards from GT's Knowledge base is available I could try to feed it as well.

Cheers !

Bu

More
16 years 8 months ago #16567 by Hot4Darmat
"Good news, everyone!"

Sorry, could resist a little Futurama intro reference. This IS good news, though. Anything to help this project limp along is better than its demise at the 11th hour. I know there was still a fair amount of work to do, but it really had gotten pretty close, all things considered.

I'm delighted to hear you're willing to take lead, Burja2 (btw, where in Canada are you located?). The old TS team is scattered, but there are still those who feel the same affection for the project, so many may return, even as p/t consultants. Speaking of which, I strongly recommend engaging in some consulting with GT before going too far down the path. I know he can't undertake this as a project, but he had the main vision, would be able to help with some of the broad strokes "to do" list, and is generally a very approachable guy who is easy to work with. Try his email, and if its live, fire him a list of questions, starting with "If you were going to kick start this project, where would you start?"

My guess is, the best place to start is get as much from GTs knowledge base as you can squeeze, then work on the features list and the technical hurdles from there.

I'm too busy, and forgetful to check this forum regularly, but will always respond to emails. Send me a quick email, and perhaps we can chat further.