If there will ever be I-War 3...

More
9 years 3 months ago #19271 by IronDuke
Limit Theory is looking awesome. When I read the info on their site about the huge amount of procedural stuff in there, I got really excited. I also like the infinite universe and the open-ended gameplay. Storylines are the best thing a game could have, but I haven't any sandbox space games. When I noticed they have a prototype completed, I zipped to the download page. I then noticed with a little forum digging, that it was only for Kickstarter backers.
When the smoke alarms went off a few seconds later, bringing me to my senses, I smashed the glass marked "Break in case of space sim grumpiness," grabbed the fire extinguisher there, and put my hair out.
After waving the smoke out of the room, I took a look at The Mandate. Watching the videos describing the whole system of the crew, I thought, "Nailed it!" The crew simulation, interior of ships and so forth is almost exactly what I was thinking of. I can't really explain properly, but the videos do. I mean, even in awesome EoC, the ships still feel like an empty box with engines and guns. Interior stuff would quickly fix that.
My game is certainly a massive task, but I actually have plenty of time to work on it, and premade game engines like Unity3d make it much easier.
I poked around the forums for a couple hours, and, as far as I can tell,the rights to the whole I-War universe are owned by Atari. Even if they don't own them all, they presumably own enough to chase us to the Badlands cluster and back if we violate any copyrights. Attempts have been made to contact them about releasing I-War stuff as open source and other things, but as far as I can tell, they have all failed. So no I-War3 per se for the foreseeable future. :( Of course, similar games might pop up. I was even planning to use the same reactor system in my game, because of research into something like it, which I believe is called a 'Tokamak.'

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19272 by 7upMan
I don't remember what you wanted to call your game, but I believe that something like "The Badlands" are something that would get the attention of any I-War fan out there. Or how about "Hoffer's Wake"? I'm not sure if this flies with Atari, though.

Anyway, regarding Limit Theory, yes, you'll have to wait a bit for the game reaching Beta status. Josh, the SINGLE person making the game, lets us keep track of what he's doing in his daily Del Log: forums.ltheory.com/viewforum.php?f=12&si...b225c38f2d31f91e5463

Also, he gives us monthly video updates on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/LimitTheory/videos

As for the reactor of I-War's ships, yes, the Tokamak is an almost ancient concept for fusion reactors. Again, I'm not sure how close you can come to the corvettes/patcoms, but you should be able to model similar ships without a problem. Maybe the guys over at CGSociety.org can be of help here.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19275 by Chessking
My suggestion to you, IronDuke, is to aim for a degree in computer programming, and get a few guys to help you on your project. In the meantime, keep going.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 3 months ago #19288 by Chessking
You know, there is someone who doesn't like IronDuke's ideas. Smith has to fix the ship whenever Cal gets it beat up!

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 3 months ago #19289 by IronDuke
You just had to say that while I was drinking! :sick:
(Wipes keyboard dry)
And that reminds me. While talking about the hull, I completely forgot to mention how it gets repaired.
A powerful nanotech autorepair would be installed on the hull, just like the ones already in EoC, but with a little more realism. If three holes are blown in your ship, the autorepair would split resources between them, according to priority. They would close up, but slowly, so if you get hit badly, you might have to withdraw for several minutes to wait for repairs. Also, the autorepair has a limited supply. It's usually enough to go for quite a while, but keep an eye on it!
If you are hit VERY bad, it might be impossible to repair outside of a good shipyard. (Lucretia's Base has one, but I can't guarantee the player base in my game will. :evil: Muhahaha! Making player lives hard to keep is so fun!)
Some of the less complicated systems would have access to the autorepair functions, but it would work REALLY slowly, and some systems like FTL drive or...uh-oh...life support! Yikes! They would be repairable only by hand, so hope Smith isn't too mad at you... Or just repair them yourself. Not actually sure how that could be implemented realistically without requiring the player to have PhDs in electrical engineering and astrophysics.
Lucky you--weapons and shields and big and brute bulky enough to be easily autorepaired, so you won't be permanently incapacitated right away.
Keep in mind this would apply to all ships, right down to the one that collided with a big rock last week and drifted until you found them, 'cause their engineer is an incompetent idiot and just broke the ship more. Woo hoo. :P
I haven't thought this through very thoroughly yet. I was more interested in blowing stuff up first, then coming up with plans for fixing it. But if I put my mind to it, I'll come up with what I'm hoping would be an arsenal of aweosomeness (and sarcasm) to make great space games with. Thanks for reminding me.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #19366 by Chessking
I think it would be neat to re-introduce the four station command section and the use of rear-facing weapons. Some more cockpits would be nice to.

Storm Petrel