If there will ever be I-War 3...

More
9 years 1 month ago #19369 by IronDuke

Chessking wrote: I think it would be neat to re-introduce the four station command section and the use of rear-facing weapons. Some more cockpits would be nice to.

This one will be short... :p
I totally agree about the separate workstations that they are fun. However, they can prevent perfect teamwork, because a team can only work as fast as they can communicate. Having one pilot guarantees teamwork as fast as his reflexes. Of course, he can sometimes get overwhelmed, so certain functions such as engineering could be done by others.
What I've been planning for my game is to have the forward gunner, pilot, and captain be the same person. The reason is that having them be three separate people decreases coordination, fighting skill, and general fun-ness. I've found that flying and firing forward guns works best with one man, and having him be the captain as well makes for perfect timing.
There would be separate stations for the engineer(s), rear and turret gunners, and anyone else I've forgotten.
Speaking of, rear facing weapons will definitely be a big thing, along with turrets. I still have a blast flying a heavy destroyer in a teat mod I made. Four Gatling turrets with 360 coverage! Yeah!
I don't know if you've played Elite: Dangerous, but they have a custom cockpit for each ship. That's exactly what I'm going to do. :D

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #19370 by Chessking
I pretty sure Cambrogal has made a cockpit for one of his ships in Torn Stars. I saw a screenshot.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 1 month ago #19396 by 7upMan
To be honest, in I-War 1, I always wished for a LAN mode where more than one player could command the ship. I mean, let's face it: flying the Dreadnaught is actually work enough to keep at the minimum 2 players busy. To assign repairs in the middle of a fight, flying crazy maneuvers and shooting forward and backwards... I would have welcomed a 2-player mod.

Well, the technology is available by now, so this should be possible to do in a game that aims to re-create I-War 1's feeling.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #19409 by Chessking
One comment: REM missiles use all of the pilots controls, rendering the ship itself helpless. With two players flying a ship, one could control the missile, while the other flies the ship.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #19446 by Chessking
Could I-War 3 be written as a mod?

Also, the game should definitely include features from many of the mods already made. For example, the mining techniques in Gold Rush and Torn Stars, along with the merchant systems of Torn Stars, should be included so that the player can earn a living get new systems and weapons through means other than piracy and trading pirated items. This would also incorporate the market system included in Gold Rush, Torn Stars, and Future Trader.

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 2 days ago #19460 by RichardSkinner
Iwar2 was so ahead of its time. I have never played a game where you felt so small and lost in the middle of a huge living breathing star system. The music was amazing too and helped to captutre the scale.

Iwar3 is an idea i've had in my head for years. I recently tried to recrate as many of the game systems in unity as I can. It's tough though as i'm not much of a programmer. So I mainly just have fun recreating the ships in 3d but when its time to make them work I stall out.

Even thought Iwar2 seems unfinished in many ways, it would be a very tall order to make a another game, have it be more successfull (from a design point of view), and have that "feeling" like EOC did.

The Priceline Negotiator