New thread for my cloud texture issue

More
19 years 9 months ago #11354 by GrandpaTrout
Yscale - I have heard reports that the behavior differred from what was written (from Buda5 I think).

After my first read through of the PDF, the only thing I noted as odd was that your textures start from a value of one. But I believe they should start from 0. Every other INI array begins from zero. So do C++ arrays.

Hmmm. Now that we know that Nebula use an odd format for size, I wonder if Stars use an odd format as well.

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11355 by cambragol

You can't be serious.

Sure why not? I spent more than a year and hundreds of hours scouring resources and archives trying to get the most detailed and accurate data on the sky. After an even greater amount of time spent filtering and merging the image data, I have created a fairly accurate image. So I guess I can forgive your ignorance of all this, and take your rather pejorative comment for simple overzealousness in regards to 'reality'.

I will post some screen shots in the future. A dearth of hosting space precludes me doing so now. By the way, I have to ask...is your planned Spacemaster mod based on I.C.E.'s Spacemaster series? I used to play that game around 20 years ago, and still have two complete sets of the original rules, including one still in the box! I also have copies of all the modules ever published for series. Haven't played a single session since grade 6 I think...

Cambragol

More
19 years 9 months ago #11356 by Second Chance

But I believe they should start from 0.

Yes, you're right. I keep writing 1 instead of 0. I've already edited several posts here for that very reason. Sorry about the mistake. I don't know why I can't keep it straight in my head.

I'm updating my notes now.

Has anyone else ever encountered the asteroid field issue noted in my other post?

@cambrogol: I meant; how could you expect me to wait for epic to come out (when is that anyway?) when I'm almost finished wrapping up all of my geography issues now. Although, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in your first paragraph above. What is that you've been researching for so long?

And yes, you're absolutely right about SpaceMaster. It was my favorite. Any chance you might want to part with the SM stuff you have? Even though I don't play anymore, I still collect everything SpaceMaster I can find. For nostalgia, I guess.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #11357 by cambragol
Hehe, sorry Second Chance. I would be loath to part with my books. I too keep them mostly for nostalgias sake. I lucked out and and found a second shrinkwrapped set of the whole series on Ebay for a steal a while back.

I am looking forward to seeing your Space Master mod...any place for info on it?

Cambragol

More
19 years 9 months ago #11361 by Second Chance
Rats! You lucky guy. Thanks for the eBay tip though. :)

I'm afraid there's no place for info on the SpaceMaster mod. I wasn't really planning on releasing it. I didn't think anyone would like the SM style. But it's so nice to talk to someone else who's actually heard of SpaceMaster. The complexity of SpaceMaster and RoleMaster seemed to be a big turn-off for many players. I consider myself lucky to have ever had the chance to play it at all. I'm trying very hard to replicate the rules and systems within EoC. And I've started modeling some of the SM ships from the 2nd generation Vessel Compendiums.

But anyway, I don't want to steer too far away from the tasks at hand. This is a good opportunity for all of us with geography info to bring it together in one place. And maybe get some new features into the geogSDK. If you want to talk more about SpaceMaster (the game or my mod), I'd be glad to chat with you. Email me. I'll send you a list of proposed features. As a fellow player, maybe you might suggest something I missed.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #11369 by mdvalley
No, I don’t have Lightwave. I do have POV-Ray, a very cool free raytracer. I can make pretty nebulae with it to fill in the gaps in the cluster map, but knowing me, I’d render them from the viewpoints of every darn star in the cluster and the image pack would end up being 50 MB. :)