New thread for my cloud texture issue

More
19 years 8 months ago #11453 by Second Chance
Very, very cool! Can't wait to get my hands on that!

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11454 by GrandpaTrout
Learned something about Asteroid Belts. All the model and habitat stuff, all that is actually a floating point number that seems to be the field size. Just before that is another float that is the radius of the belt. If the belt placement distance and radius are not the same, the belt refuses to show up. If the radius is zero, it refuses to show up.

I guess all this is why I was never able to get a belt to appear before. Getting close. Most of the items have changed format slightly (for reasons like belt above) so plan on some breaking of old geography files.

Thanks to SecondChance and Mdvalley who provided the clues to working this out (by other examples).

-Gtrout

More
19 years 8 months ago #11455 by mdvalley
Well, if you’re breaking the old csv files, can I make a feature request?
For the L-Points, can you make it so the geog program reads from an entry in the csv file where between the planets to put the L-Point?

For example, as it is now, the L-Point entry for the Crystal L-Point is:
Lpoint,Crystal Lpoint,Jade,Crystal,2,huang,bedalov
Can you make it:
Lpoint,Crystal Lpoint,Jade,Crystal,0.25,2,huang,bedalov
So the geog program will put it 0.25 of the way from Jade to Crystal?

I more or less gave up on aligning L-Points vertically. I have them worked out for straight north, south, east, and west, but not in-between. I can align one any direction through trial and error, but not mathematically.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11457 by GrandpaTrout
yes, I can do that! Sorry the alignment is not working out. There is something very strange about flux.

[Edit] Done. Any other requests while I am in here? (not that we cannot change things later). Actually, lets plan on at least one "beta" kind of release. You guys can test it out, see if you need changes, and then we will make those edits and release this new version.

I guess I should now modify the save type program to calculate lpoint placement based on relative planet masses. Sigh.

[Edit2] Ok, I did something horrible. Most of my planets are now missing. The rest are turned to ghosts. Here you have Griffon and it's moon, or, whats left of them. www.i-war2.com/epic/images/ghost_planet.jpg

Hmmm. I think I need to adjust the transmorgifier phase array...

-Gtrout

More
19 years 8 months ago #11460 by mdvalley
Volume = 4/3*pi*radius^3, if I remember right
Mass = volume*density
Gas giants have a density around 1.2
Rocky planets are about 5
Moons are about 3
Asteroids are mostly iron (7.874)

Star densities vary quite a lot by their class, (from 8 for the M stars, to 1.75 for the sun, to 0.1 for the B stars) but I guess you could slap the same mass on all the stars in Epic, since they don’t resize anyways.

Check the orientation values. Once, I was fiddling with Emerald, and I set the last byte in an orientation to FF (which I think doesn’t translate to any number) and Emerald became invisible like that.

We can make whole planets disappear, but we still can’t make the halo go away! :)

More
19 years 8 months ago #11461 by Second Chance

Here you have Griffon and it's moon, or, whats left of them.

That's very interesting. I wouldn't mind knowing how to do this deliberately. Perhaps there's some interesting future use we could put it to.

And how do you get such high framerates? If you look at all of my screenshots, it's always solidly pegged at 43 fps and rarely changes (except during explosions). Is my machine really so old that 43 fps is the best it can do? How sad.

We can make whole planets disappear, but we still can’t make the halo go away! :)

LOL! It seems destiny has taken a hand. We might just be stuck with them after all.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4