Multiplayer

More
20 years 3 months ago #17958 by William
Multiplayer was created by William
I hope this is the right place to put this. I can't seem to get the multiplayer to work. Do you have to be connected to the Internet to use multiplayer? Every time I try to host a game, it freezes. I've only had it work once, and I'm not sure whether I was connected to the Internet or not. What's wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8934 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Multiplayer
Normally, you do have to be connected to the internet (or to a LAN) to Host/start an EOC multiplayer game.
If you just want to play without anyone joining your server it's very easy to set the server invisible to the internet. You can alternativly set a password for the server to limit who joins.

Note: You can't run EOC (or any other MP game I know of) with a Firewall unless you manually open the ports that the game uses.

You can run MP without being connected to the internet if your system has loop-back fuctionality (and no firewall). There are a few tricks for this that are dependent on the connection interface you have (Analog modem, Cabel or DSL modem with network card, ISDN-Card ect.) You'll have to tell me what kind of connection you have.

I'll be glad to help you out with any questions you may have here.
Also check the "What Rocks multiplay forum" down below. You'll find lots of information about MP in general on my site (click on my sig and then on one of the subjects in the Nav. list)

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8940 by William
Replied by William on topic Multiplayer
I just have Dial-up Internet because I live out in the country. All I want is to be able to play Multiplayer, with no one else, offline. Also, I am running Windows XP, but I'm pretty sure I have the numbers separators set up correctly. Thanks.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8944 by MajorTom
Sorry William, I just don't know how to setup an internal loop_back with WinXP.

I tried for a couple of hours using different connection types and settings but couldn't figure it out. I also searched the M$ database for information to no avail.

I do know however, you shouldn't try to connect internally with your modem running!

Can anyone can help here?
If we knew how to setup an internal loop_back connection on XP the rest is a piece of cake!

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8946 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic Multiplayer
Should work by default. Or at least I can ping 127.0.0.1 with no problems.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8948 by MajorTom
Thanks To Stephen Robertson who gave me a link over in the ina we have a solution that makes it very easy to play MP without being connected.

Install the standard microsoft Loopback that is in WinXP by following the instructions at this link:

sdiagent.st.usm.edu/arcims/Docum ... ows_xp.htm

After you've done that you should see a new LAN-connection in your network connections directory. (You can activate or deactivate the connection by right clicking on it as you wish.) It needs to be activated to play a MP game offline

to play offline:
Start EOC and click on the [multiplayer] button.
Click on the [options] button and type in your name in the box at the top. Select the ship you want to fly then click the back button.
click on [Host Session] button (you can change the frag limit or time limit as you wish).
Press the [advanced] button to set the number of bots and thier skill level then click the back button.
Press the [start] button.
Have fun!

Have Gun, Will Travel