Multiplayer

More
20 years 2 months ago #9010 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Multiplayer
I'm sorry, but you'll have to take the time and follow the instructions in the readme.txt file thats inside the wrapper you downloaded.
It won't work if you put it in your mods folder!
(Because the game is hardcoded to keep any MP applications from reading the mods folder)

If the command prompt just flickered briefly: The checker function in the install routine discovered it was in the wrong folder and aborted without copying any of the files. Thats why you don't see any new ships to select

Have Gun, Will Travel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9018 by William
Replied by William on topic Multiplayer
When I went on to your site after I posted my reply, I saw that to install the mod, you needed to read the README. I didn't realize that there was a readme because when I had looked through the file at first, I never saw any readme documents. Anyway, I read the readme, and figured out what I have to do. I tried it out and the new multiplayer was very cool. My favorite map was the Labyrinth map. Thanks for a great mod.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9022 by MajorTom
Glad you like it :D

The labyrinth map is a masterpiece of positioning work done by DukeOmsk. The long tunnels in the maze are made of single tunneled out asteroids. Every single asteroid was hand positioned manually (using multiple iterations) to get them to join with each other (and branch out) in exactly the right place.

The only thing that's missing is a hollow echo-like sound effect when you're inside the tunnels. ;)

Have you tried the botmatch "academy assault"? The best ship to use if you're playing alone, offline is the "moth" sniper

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #9051 by William
Replied by William on topic Multiplayer
I played Academy Assault, but I got blown away evertime until I used the Black Buzzard; and I was only on the easier version! I never tried using the Moth though, maybe I'll be better with it. My motto is: "faster is better." Of course, it's the realism of the game that makes me a pretty sad pilot, so I need good acceleration to cancel the slide from the inertia, which is hard to get used to. I own Freespace 2, and it might not be as good or realistic as EoC, but I'm pretty good at flying those ships, although they have a top speed of about 70 m/s most of the time.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9059 by MajorTom
You'll probably like the way the "Moth" sniper ship handels, cause it's more Freespace/Starlancer-like

Pssst! Now, don't tell anyone, but here's the secret to using the sniper cannon on the Moth for dogfighting the bots:
When you get a bot in range of your rapidfire PBCs and the target locks on, fire a 2 sec. burst at the bot and then while holding down the trigger, hit the button to cycle weapons. That will fire the sniper cannon at the target lock of the rapidfire PBC and you'll hit the bot about 90% of the time. One shot and he's dead!

Don't be suprised when your hud goes blank after the sniper shot. It always does, because the sniper canon depletes the ships energy systems completly. What ever you do, don't just sit there! Keep moving twisting andd turning until the HUD comes back online after about 4 secs.

The key to the academy match is to get the first 2 bots that are on the map when you join in. Use your fake decoy's, they have a big blast radius.
Every time you get killed and re-spawn 2 more bots will appear (the math is: death = death x2 [}:)]
If you get in a bind with lots of bots head over to your alpha base. The base's gunstar will help you with the bots.

When the bots are gone, dock to your base and reload missiles.
Then head over to the academy, but stay at least 20 km away from it and take out the 4 gunstars one after another with your sniper cannon. (don't bother using missiles; the Academy and the gunstars have point defense)
Bots spawn at about 2 minute intervals (you can hear them spawn)! Get them first and continue hitting the gunstars 'till they're all gone. Then go after the big academy base with everything you've got!

Have Gun, Will Travel