Multiplay Mod" What Rocks V2" released!

More
21 years 6 months ago #17592 by MajorTom
Wanted to let you all know that the mod is finished and ready for you to download.

There is more information in the other thread here:
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=670

EOC/IWar2 Multiplayer Fansite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 6 months ago #3316 by Flamineo
Hurrah! Congratulations.

More
21 years 6 months ago #3317 by MajorTom
Thanks for the congrats :)

We just need to get as many people to try it out as possible.

I'm sure it will be fun, and we now have hope that a MP community can come into existance

More
21 years 6 months ago #3360 by MajorTom
Someone wrote me an email with the question: "What does your mod do?"

I decided to post the answer here too for all who are not regulars to the Iwar universe:

The Mod is a complete expansion pack for the IWar2 Multiplayer game. The download has 3.4 Mb content (5,2 Mb unzipped) with 471 new files.
In that context it's not really a Mod, (in the sense that a Mod usually changes things in a game.)
What rocksv2 does not change the existing game (neither single play nor multiplay) but adds a lot:

It includes new scripts for 5 new multiplayer games, not available in the original (or patched) game. The main focus is on team fortress type games with class based team play, but there is also a bot match game with 2 difficulty levels as well as a “Domination� type game.
The Mod provides new ship designs for the player to select from. The new ships have special capabilities, different handling characteristics and new weapons to allow for class based type of play. For example, there is a small Sniper ship with a deadly long range cannon that can be used for scouting and an engineer ship that can deploy automated weapons (sentry turrets) at strategic locations. The engineer can reload a players ships weapons and missile launchers and repair it mid game by docking to the player. The mod also enables players to re-arm and repair their ships themselves by docking to their base.

To make these features possible it was necessary to write new programs (scripts) for the multiplayer game that allow a player to destroy a station, deploy an object by pressing a key or reload his weapons by docking to his base. The scripts make enemy bots appear out of nowhere (spawn) under given circumstances. Also a system to increment and decrement points and not just deaths (frags) was added. I.e. destroying a station counts more points than shooting down another players ship and the different ships also have different values
The mod also has 7 new maps that are used by the scripts, those maps are designed to encourage strategically orientated team play.

Additionally the mod fixed a bug that was inherent to the existing multiplayer scripts: Often the game would crash when two players died simultaneously. That doesn't happen anymore (as far as we can tell)
Lots of eye candy was added to the multiplayer game in the form of new scenic map backgrounds and brightly colored missile trails. New weapon designs include new visual effects for each weapons bolt as well as new sound effects. This was done by creating 471 new files for the weapons and the ships carrying them and for most other objects that are visible and audible in the game (.ini and .lws files).

Last not least the mod scripts contain a hard coded file check procedure that prevents intentional as well as unintentional file corruption (cheating). The main object of the file check is to reduce lag (data transmission delays) that can result when the files on the server and the client are not identical. (Iwar2 is easy to mod and differences in the original games multiplayer files can be unintentional due to the large number of mods available for the single play game).

The unzipped mod contains a folder named Readme. There, you will find a word document that describes each map, the points system and "rules" for each game

Hope that isn't confusing.

There bad fellows over in the old Badlands parts, calling themselves "Lioneaters" or something like that. Any of you enrolled in the Le Corps des Lions recently?

More
21 years 6 months ago #3469 by mad_alien
I intalled the mod per instuctions but how do I access it, I went throught the multiplayer section and I didn't see anything about the mod, I'm interested in gettin online but don't know where to start, sorry for all the newb questions as of late, but this genre is new to me

More
21 years 6 months ago #3473 by MajorTom
The mod is activated by a double click on the file "install_what_rocksv2beta.bat". That switches the complete multiplay section of the original game to the modded version.

Once installed, you will see that the names of the ships that can be selected under "Player Options" are new. Also, you'll see the new games that are available under "Host session". (if not, you did something wrong somewheres along the line)

To join a game:
Start the game and select the Multiplayer button. Then choose the options button. Select a ship by clicking on it, the docs for the chosen ship will be displayed. After you’ve decided which ship to use, leave it selected and simply right click to exit that screen. Then press the button “Internet Game� to reach the in-game browser. Select the game / server you wish to join.
The appropriate map will automatically load and a team selection screen will pop up.
Press the button for the team you wish to join. After a few moments you will join the game at a point close to your base.
Note: the games "Academy" and "Academy_Elite" don't have a team select screen. You will be automatically placed in the correct team.

If you don't see a server listed in the in-game browser ( under "Internet Game") then there is probably just not any servers running at the moment. You can either wait or host your own game

The only mod specific differences for hosting a server concerns setting the point and time limits. Information about that is in : What_rocks/Readme/English/General.doc

Last not least:
To deactivate the mod (for example if you want to play the original multiplay game) just double click the "deinstall_what_rocksv2beta.bat".