X2: The Threat

More
19 years 11 months ago #10014 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic X2: The Threat

Originally posted by They_HunGer

this applies to the newtonian physics... likely, no game has this phisics(except I-War of course!).

Check out the freeware Babylon5 SpaceSim IFH (unfortunately the server is currently down, ifh.firstones.com ) or www.starshatter.com , they have newtonian physics.

I played X² for a while. Interesting game but very simple combats and a boring story (presentation and plot itself).
You shouldn't compare it with a Space Sim. It's more an Economy simulation.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10022 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic X2: The Threat
O/T - Has anyone ever heard of an old game called Terminus? It was my favorite space sim before EoC, and it used a newtonian flight model. It was also totally freeform, if you didn't want to play the campaign missions. And supposedly it had some kind of revolutionary AI. In an interview I read with one of the developers, he recounted how, during testing, the AI had been able to figure out some new tactics on it's own, and started wiping the floor with the dev team (until they started using the tactics they learned from the AI). The only reason I switched to EoC was because Terminus isn't really moddable (what a damn shame [xx(]), and only has a few ships (that weren't really that good looking). You could have a psuedo-custom paintjob though. Other than that, it's a really fun and attractive looking space sim.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #10036 by Demiurgo
Replied by Demiurgo on topic X2: The Threat
No, never heard of it.

I've searching i while on Internet and i found the main page (to simplify the work to others):

www.vvisions.com/terminus/

I havent read a lot of it yet, i'll wait until you, Sirs, discuss about it (i'll learn more from the masters).

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
19 years 2 months ago #12399 by Xaffax
Replied by Xaffax on topic X2: The Threat
The X-universe is more free and extencive. As a flightsim I-warII and I for that matter leave X2 far behind. Take the good bits of both and manny agree you'll finaly have what the old elite fans are looking for.

Xaffax out!

Xaffax out!

More
19 years 2 months ago #12401 by Hendar23
Replied by Hendar23 on topic X2: The Threat
It's an economics sim cunningly disguised as a space sim. I found it addictive at first, but you basicly just sit and watch you credits increase. It's also very easy and not as complicated as most people make it out to be. You just need LOTS of time. I used to leave it running overnight in accelerated time to make more cash. Great Fun(!)

There is no enemy. Anywhere.

There is no enemy. Anywhere.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12413 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic X2: The Threat
Just started playing X2 myself, and I have to concur with Hendar23. The flying part of the game was sorely neglected to focus on innovative 4x style gameplay. A sad, sad shame.

If only it was correctly billed as a 4x style game that let you actually fly your own spaceships, instead of as a space-sim, and properly focused the marketing that way, then I would have said it was brilliant.

But if you're looking for exciting, pilot-oriented space flight; look elsewhere. (In addition, the practices required for modding are insane, and feel almost tacked on as an after-thought.)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
(my book: on hold during the Star Wars: Wings of Defiance mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4