space sims

More
19 years 2 months ago #12428 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic space sims
Wow, two space shuttle simulators? Who would have guessed the shuttle was so popular. Well, my bad, I guess.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12461 by Warchild
Replied by Warchild on topic space sims
I think the best Spsace Shuttl sim I ever played was made by Atari for the Atari 2600 a long time ago...yeah...I know really showing my age here.
You had the oportunity to take of and land...but that wasn't all. You also had a few missions to perform in there as well. Like fixing a satelite...which consisted of grabbing it with the arm and holding it for a few moments while the game registered that you grabbed it for a certain amount of time. There was also one with landing on the moon...and then making the right de-orbit burns to actually make a landing at Cape Kennedy/Canaveral (sp) and many other landing spots in the US.
I think the ganme was released back in the early 80's...its been a LONG time...but I remember it...fondly.
IF you can find the gameon the internet...its a really good one. Its not the greatest for graphics...but at the time...iot was really advanced.
BAttle Cruiser Millenium...it a really good game...if you have the time. Its also a little out of date as well. Universal Combat has taken it over. Its pretty much the same but as I understand...everything was updated in it to be current with todays graphics.
As someone said once a while back...
"...Battle Cruiser is a great game...but the 80's wants thier graphics back..."
I personally like Battle Cruiser Millenium. Its done in real-time...and the damage takes a while to fix...something that I really lke in a game. Not something where you land and ita an instant repair nd your back into the fray.
The only thing that I don't like is that lack of a trading engine. When you sell or buy somwehting in the game...the price is the same no matter what...butthe game is SO immersive and there are so many things that can happen...it really doesn;t matter...but...when you've been playing for a while...you'd like some interaction other than patrol and kill.
One question for you would be....
Are you looking for Space flgiht simulators??
There aren't very many left that will work with the graphics cards and PC's we have today as theyare too fast for the games now. Who would have thought that would have happened huh?
If you're looking for Space simulation games in general...well...there could be alot.
Imperium galactica II is a good one if your talkng about those types of space sims...its more strategy though.
Good luck in your search though...if you find some that you think we might want to know about...please...share...I'm sure your bound to run across some that we didn't know exsisted.
Cheers

More
19 years 2 months ago #12468 by mdvalley
Replied by mdvalley on topic space sims
The DOS version of that old Virgin shuttle sim can be found at www.the-underdogs.org . The one at www.shuttlesim.be will (hopefully) someday be able to do everything the Virgin sim did.

And if you want a super-realistic space sim, you want Orbiter, at www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html . Plot trajectories, make split-second timings on burns or end up who-knows-where in the solar system. Great fun. The newest version now models the gravitational aberrations of non-uniform and non-elliptical planets.

For the moon, there’s an Orbiter addon called NASSP. It aims to mimic the Apollo landings, from launch to walking around on the moon to splashdown. You can let Orbiter’s advanced screens do your planning, or turn them off and punch numbers in the lil’ Apollo computer. Personally, I’ve never been able to get the darned LM on the moon.

One more thing, Allegiance you mentioned up there was developed by Microsoft. It is now abandonware, and last year, at the urging of the community, Microsoft released the source code. Allegiance can be played at www.freeallegiance.org . Loads of fun, teamwork required for victory, heckofa learning curve, though.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13212 by XTrade
Replied by XTrade on topic space sims
i've been working on a space sim myself, inspired by I-War
you can find a few screenshots at www.aofp.co.uk
and i regularly post on a few forums on the progress.
reminds me i need to update my website.

Yes i've played orbiter and i'd certainly reccommend it. allthough if your looking for action you may be slightly dissapointed as it really is a sim.

personally i've always dreamed of making a propper space sim out of EOC.. then i learnt to program and stopped modding!

www.AoFP.co.uk - home of the Alliance of Freelance Programmers

www.AoFP.co.uk - home of the Alliance of Freelance Programmers

More
18 years 7 months ago #13693 by Bozobub
Replied by Bozobub on topic space sims
BTW - Allegiance is completely, LEGALLY, free! o.O www.freeallegiance.org for game download and more info...

The story here is actually unique; the game had such rabid fans, M$ actually GAVE them full control of the game! Who woulda thunk it?!