Completed the game. What next?

More
20 years 9 months ago #6981 by Andur
I have just ended the game, too. My favourite missions:

The Trouble with Gunstars (The first time got ripped in 5 seconds and the 2nd one in 10, so I was scared, even when the only thing one really does is hit F8 5 seconds before they go offline).

Both missions in Dante.

I will edit to include more missions as I re-read the walkthrough. I didn't like the ending (as said before, "aliens" is a cheap and fast omni-story solving), and the last mission is the worst in the game (You can't see the hud, and you just shoot antimatter at shiny lights 12km away), and having to repeat it 3 times to get Free Form going right didn't help.

All in all, this game is a masterpiece. Aside some minor mistakes, mainly the random attacks: whether "out-mission scripted" (i.e. Navy hates Stepson, or Marauders hates everyone) or just the fact that ships are too trigger happy attacking its own faction for nothing, that kind of things destroyed mission-critical ships making me replay long missions... anyway, in those situations I don't feel guilty for using cheat codes.

As S.R. is the only member of PS known to browse this forums, my compliments on his mission design originality and good scripting (without a mission editor, just a text editor and POG!) go to him.

Currently playing Free-Form mode, with the following mods:

Crosshair, custom Jafs, free form, iFleet, jet_weap_tweaks, location finder, multimod, nano waypoints utilities, no launch sequence, starmap reference, station save, basemover, future trader, station assault and UniGui.

Although I couldn't admire the sheer size and beauty of the two clusters during the normal game, now I will. And bring some light to a couple (dozens) Maas facilities during the process. Light so bright that it burns, in fact. We DO have some of those special warheads now :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 9 months ago #6982 by Stephen Robertson PS
Thanks for the kind words! I-War 2 was a huge collaborative effort. I scripted only about 25% of the missions (Though I wrote the original design for about a third of them), so I can't take credit for the game as a whole.

I'm glad you liked my missions the best :D, I designed and scripted those three missions. The two dante missions were the most complicated to write. The last dante mission is really four missions in one, and took ages to write.

The Trouble With Gunstars is one of my favourites in that it shows your crew is human - they make mistakes! Same way that clay gives you bad advice when he tells you to hide at that abandoned base. ;)

I agree about the aliens. In hindsight I would have preferred the game to end at the final dante mission.

Not enough thought was given to the saving system, and the random traffic interaction with missions. There should have been better systems designed in from the beginning, IMHO.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.