I'm gonna snap

More
22 years 1 month ago #1040 by DR Congo
Replied by DR Congo on topic I'm gonna snap
Stephen,

I think you could've got around the light speed thing, without the need to add a time accel feature.

In the theory of relativity there is no universal temporal constant.This is because time is linked to speed(spacetime) What is now now is not necessarily now somwhere else. There's that little science fable about the two astronauts who are twins. One takes off on a long space journey and then returns to earth only to find his brother as an old man while he in his frame of reference has only been gone for a couple of weeks.

You mention that time takes over 6 hours to reach pluto. This is because of the speed of the photon. However the information of that photon does not change apparently, so if you were sat on that photon travelling to pluto, the journey would seem instantaneous. The 6 hours it seems to us is only due to our frame of reference travelling slowly around on the earth.

the faster you move, the slower time feels to you. Or more to the point the faster time passes back at your original frame of reference.

tis true...ask Albert. E=MC2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 years 1 month ago #1041 by Daemon
Replied by Daemon on topic I'm gonna snap
Quote:
"Go TOO fast and you'll blow up.

You'll be going so fast you won't see the planet you just hit."

Not really. Try it. Straight through a planet and you take about 2-3% damage. Swoosh...

Daemon
(BTW. How do I do those fancy quote thingies?)

There is no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.

More
22 years 1 month ago #1043 by SlipStream
Replied by SlipStream on topic I'm gonna snap

Stephen,

I think you could've got around the light speed thing, without the need to add a time accel feature.

In the theory of relativity there is no universal temporal constant.This is because time is linked to speed(spacetime) What is now now is not necessarily now somwhere else. There's that little science fable about the two astronauts who are twins. One takes off on a long space journey and then returns to earth only to find his brother as an old man while he in his frame of reference has only been gone for a couple of weeks.

You mention that time takes over 6 hours to reach pluto. This is because of the speed of the photon. However the information of that photon does not change apparently, so if you were sat on that photon travelling to pluto, the journey would seem instantaneous. The 6 hours it seems to us is only due to our frame of reference travelling slowly around on the earth.

the faster you move, the slower time feels to you. Or more to the point the faster time passes back at your original frame of reference.

tis true...ask Albert. E=MC2

Yes this is all very true, but the LDS drive doesn't accelerate to lightspeed like a proton. It uses the superstrings to accelerate along, and therefore ignore the affects of relitivity. Er...well i guess i cant prove that. But that is what i was originaly guessing, or else i would have brought up this same point.

Anyway, In the other post i wanted LDS to be faster so you could travel between the star systems in the badlands. I now know that the Capsole Drive sceen is a loading screen preaty much (which means that the system you are going to isnt loaded till you go there). So i guess it really doesnt matter, other than you could have a base way the heck out in nowhere and get there faster :D.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - Spock (ya so it aint IW related :p)

Its been sucha long time and IW2 still rocks my sox just as much...who woulda figured eh?

More
22 years 1 month ago #1044 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic I'm gonna snap

(BTW. How do I do those fancy quote thingies?)

surround the object to be quoted with "[qute]" and "[/qute]" except spell quote correctly. I only took out the 'o' here so it doesn't quote my and.

More
22 years 1 month ago #1048 by NightHawk
Replied by NightHawk on topic I'm gonna snap
Well you could add more L-points if your not gonna travel FTL in LDS. A l-point is a naturally occuring fenomenon. For those of you that dont know ( probably none here :) ), but the gravity is Zero in the L-point because of the 2 body's ( planet or moon ) pulls in each direction...

Would be hell to travel in the Firefrost system tho, thousands of L-points... :)

I haven't played multiplayer yet, but wouldn't be kinda difficult to use time accl in a MP?

Personally I like the B5 universe best. Jumpgates and traveling in hyperspace ( where fighting without sensors is a real mess ) is much more fun... :) And here you can make a jump wherever you are and not just from a L-point, as long as you have a jump engine of course.
There is another problem with L-points, they dont stand still. If you have the wrong time and you jump ... well, nice try good bye! :)

Nh

More
22 years 1 month ago #1050 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic I'm gonna snap
But not every two bodies create an l-point because there could be a third body pulling in a third direction. This is especially true in FireFrost where the place is loaded with planets and moons.