Newbish Question about Geog SDK

More
20 years 4 months ago #8288 by GrandpaTrout
No compiling needed. You just need to edit some INI file entries. Standard traffic scripts will run, but in your new cluster.

www.i-war2.com/epic/files/DoWRelease1a.zip

This is a bunch of zipped files that start up the player in a new star cluster. It also lets you give the player some starting inventory. It uses my old StationSave. StationSave needs a Lucretia's base to exist. But allows the player to save from any station in the cluster. It makes a good compromise solution until a replacement for loadout can be written.

I put this code together so the story writing team could get a set of stories started in the middle states. But it would work for any new cluster as well.

Read the development notes. And the read the INI files inside each zip to learn how to place the player start ship, and give the player some starting cargo. Toss the middle states cluster part, once you have tried it and see how it works (replace with own cluster).

Feel free to post questions. Looking forward to hearing about what you are doing!

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8289 by The Real Greb
I've run into even more problems now. I'm running Multimod, UniGUI, No Launch Sequence MOD, Station Save and DOWmain.

To eliminate any chances of me getting any of the mapping wrong, i've been using the test_system.csv.

I've gone into DoWMain.ini and made these changes.

[Player]
start_ship= "ini:/sims/ships/player/tug_prefitted"
start_system= "map:/geog/core/testsol"
;start_system= "map:/geog/middle/al_wadi"
base_system= "map:/geog/core/testsol"
;start_station= "Mining Outpost"
start_station= "Home Base"
start_name= "Jon's Revenge"

But when i try to load a game or start a new one, i get a "Invalid Server" message, and then im returned to the desktop.

Can anyone help?

Greb

BTW, to get middlestates working, i apparently need files a different version of the .zip where can i find it?

More
20 years 4 months ago #8290 by EricMan64
I posted a response here earlier, but my post seems to have been lost in a forum hiccup. Here's my post again:

If the LWS file defines my star (in this case Wolf Alpha), why do i have to declear it in the map file then?

The LWS file only defines the light of the star, which is also most of what you can see of it. The map file declares the part of the star that can be targeted, appears in the starmap, and (most importantly) causes you to die when you get too close.

Just an afterthought on the LWS files. Apart from the first few lines, the rest seems to be setting up huge lights to correspond with other stars in other systems in the 'gap. ;) So can i just leave 'em be for now?

The only side effect of leaving them would be that you can see those stars from your system. Once you become a little more familiar with the lws file, deleting (or modifying) the extra lights becomes a very simple proceedure.

Sorry I can't help you with your latest problem. You're messing with the Epic scripts, so GrandpaTrout is probably the only one that can help you there.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8291 by GrandpaTrout
Hi Greb,

That error happens when flux cannot load the map you want, or the player has never been placed in a valid world. So lets walk over those items and make sure they are all working correctly.

start_system= "map:/geog/core/testsol"

This system must exist as a map file, and have a matching lws file.
The system must be listed in the cluster.ini file. The station "Home Base" must exist and be named the same, case sensitive.

You do need the planet and nebula textures for that version of the cluster. They can be found here:

www.i-war2.com/epic/files/Middle ... lanets.zip

www.i-war2.com/epic/files/Release3f.zip (just the nebula textures )

(still, that shouldn't stop the cluster from loading. It just would not look very pretty).

If your still having problems, send me a zip of your cluster and I will take a look at it.
jon_freise
at
msn.com

-Gtrout

More
20 years 4 months ago #8293 by The Real Greb
Ok, from a few screenshots for I-war 1, i've made the proxima centauri system. the game accepts it just fine (I can see it in the map screen), but I can't get there because:

1) I can't link it with an existing system, because I can't covert .map files back into .csv files.

2) GrandpaTrout, I can't get your program to work, I make all the changes, but just wind up docked to the ritz (where I last saved from).

Thanks,

Greb

More
20 years 4 months ago #8294 by GrandpaTrout
You need to start a new game, then it reads the INI file and pulls in the new locations. Sorry about the lousy documentation. Let me know how it goes.

If you need to link your new systems into the old ones, you can hex edit in the links directly to the map files. It has been a year or more since I last tried it, but I could dust off my notes.

-Gtrout