.map file relation to EoC geography?

More
20 years 3 months ago #8586 by The Real Greb
Actualy, the full version Hardwar is available for free.
Click the link at the bottom of this page, next to "Where to get it"
www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4234

I really like the idea of modular stations, and increasing the importance of stations. In hardwar, i would always buy a hangar in a rough neighbourhood so damaged ships docked and payed to have their ships repaired. ;)

Greb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8588 by GrandpaTrout
Darn, demo won't install because my drive is too large. I need to get my old machine put back together.

Buy a hanger in a rough neighbourhood. It sounds like a cool game. I am sorry I missed it. I notice that it was marketed by Interplay - and I know I was a registered space sim buyer from them (Freespace 1+2), and yet I never heard anything. Pretty sad.

-Gtrout

More
20 years 2 months ago #8589 by Tarcoon
Hhm - in original MP or in EpiC Online you'll find these station complex areas already realized up to a certain degree. I think it's Watts Mining Station in Epic Online: one or two central modules, two processing units and two strange looking gunstars crowded together.

Even in original MP there is a map with some "hotels" attached to some asteroids - all rather close together. You can dock to them, nothing else, but it's a kind of complex.
Add some function and some action and there you go...

by the way: flatspace is not worth playing it, but they realized some kind of station trade, job offer system and other stuff.

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 2 months ago #8590 by The Real Greb
I recall too much space on hardrives being a problem, I have 120GB, but i still managed to get it installed. The only problem is I can't remember how!

I'll do some digging...

Greb
- Three straight days of snow! Yay!

More
20 years 2 months ago #8591 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Tarcoon

Hhm - in original MP or in EpiC Online you'll find these station complex areas already realized up to a certain degree. I think it's Watts Mining Station in Epic Online: one or two central modules, two processing units and two strange looking gunstars crowded together.

Add some function and some action and there you go...

There is some function there already: you can dock to the base at Watts mining station to reload ammo based weapons and missiles and also repair (heal) your ship at the same time. Additionally there is a guard in a fighter that will launch whenever an enemy approaches the area (within 15 km from the base) and attack the enemy.

Many of the ideas in this thread would/could be most effective in an online environment with real players. Just thinking: would it be interesting to try out some of the following as an addition/expansion to the current Epic online MP?

a)Set up a job board at a station (for example: intercept a valuable transport). Accepting the job would trigger a traffic script for a freight transport.
b)Setup a monetary system based on cargo in the players possesion.
He gets value by intercepting a transport, bringing cargo with him, or trading with other players.
c)require the player to request docking clearence specifically for healing or rearming his ship and charge him for it using the Epic Online monetary system.
d)setup neutral zones (where weapons are locked down) so players can meet, chat and exchange ideas or perhaps even post jobs and join forces for a freighter attack: (would be like hireing wingmen among the other online players)
e) perhaps even allow a player to park his freighter and cargo in the neutral zone so he can switch ships there (currently he can only take possesion of multiple cargo pods simultanously if he has a freighter online). If he is rich enough he could perhaps even buy his own neutral zone

All this would be possible if I could get a (dedicated) server to write data to flux. A client can write data, as we know, from the trade games. So, maybe I'll have to make a dummy (passive, non-player)client for the server administration or something like that. I'll do some testing on the weekend.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #8593 by The Real Greb
Are you suggesting a persistant online universe? Or do you mean the player does all this in one sitting?

How would the player "Save" his/her progress? Is it possible to get Flux to send out the player data to a server where it is saved?

I guess the engine isnt suited to lots of players spanning several systems. But the player could log into "game worlds" each set in a different system.

Greb

EDIT: Ooops, I just assumed the player was a man there. Sorry to any female gamers out there!