ship sizes

More
19 years 10 months ago #18175 by Kenf
ship sizes was created by Kenf
Is it actually possibly to alter the sizes of ships? , I seem to be underwhelmed at the sizes of ships in I war 2 , like so called capital ships are tiny even carriers.

I'd like to feel the effect when I see an American Aircraft carrier (not on the wrong side of it if you get my drift) , ie be awed by the gigantic size of it and in I war they seem a bit small.

Things like the Excelion (Gunbuster) 32km long which had a train system on board to move the crew about it was so big , or the eletrium (gunbuster) which was 120km long flag ship of the earth forces or even BM3 (buster machine 3 black hole generator) which was 1/30th the size of Jupiter (which contained Jupiter as part of the black hole device) , or smaller like the SDF-1 which was abotu 2KM long and had a myriad of smaller support mechs all along it to act as last line of defence.

With enough fire power to actually take you and your nasty little patcom on and give you a rough ride (rather than the easy capital ships as the expert mod is some way sucessful but not quite)

How would I go about this task since I've seen a mod which alters the size of asteroids but not the actual models themselves (maybe the gold rush mod)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10951 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Replied by Jwk the Hemp Monkey on topic ship sizes
It is space, everything seems small. The tug is infact this *beast* of a ship, the command section is the size of a house (well, it is actually cal's house). A mega-frighter is about 2 kilometers long.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 10 months ago #10956 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic ship sizes
LOL. He's right, the ships in EoC are monstrous. You can see this illustrated in the pic at the bottom of the post. However, boy are you ever right too Kenf, the ships in EoC do seem small. And there are two simple reasons:

1. By default, flux uses an internal camera Field of View of 1.1 radians, which is about 63 degrees. When looking through a camera lens an FOV of 39.598 degrees (0.69 radians) most accurately simulates natural human eyesight. The default FOV flux uses actually makes things look almost twice as far away as they really are.

2. The ship performances, like turning and acceleration, are really high for ships as massive as the ones in EoC. Couple this with the fact that a ship the size of an ocean liner only has a crew of one?! and you get ships that don't really convey a feeling of size.

Personally, I've altered the performance of every sim in the game to be much slower in movement, which makes the ships act more massive, as well as changing the internal camera FOV setting in flux.ini to 0.69. Now it's aaaaalll better. :)

Here are the EoC ships in comparison to a Star Destroyer from Star Wars. Warning: Game Spoilers!
members.cox.net/second_chance/new_sd_comp2.jpg
See how big they are?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10961 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Replied by Jwk the Hemp Monkey on topic ship sizes
This view thing sounds interesting, is it 'doable'? does it cause any bugs such as your cockpit view having clipping errors?

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 10 months ago #10967 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic ship sizes
No. The one and only side effect is that, of course, now your cockpit doesn't entirely fit in your view. Basically, it looks like the cockpit is much closer to you than before, but that doesn't bother me.

One thing you should be aware of though. Since you're so used to looking at a distorted (flattened) view, MajorTom pointed out that you may find the correct view disconcerting. You'll have to decide.

I, personally, have never had anything but goodness. [8D]

To change the FOV simply alter this line in flux.ini:
Code:
[icInternalCamera] field_of_view = 1.1
to this:
Code:
[icInternalCamera] field_of_view = 0.69
But be warned; once you start using it, you may never want to go back. :D Because it does give you that impression like when you see an aircraft carrier. Now when you see the Navy carrier, you'll be like, "Holy S**t! That's Huge!"

...I've seen a mod which alters the size of asteroids but not the actual models themselves

It does alter the size of the asteroid models, just not the collision hulls (which makes it pointless).

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10975 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic ship sizes

Originally posted by Second Chance

Since you're so used to looking at a distorted (flattened) view, MajorTom pointed out that you may find the correct view disconcerting. You'll have to decide.

You should decide this first as your other mod work will more than likely be influenced by the decision.
I find it disconcerting not because of the view but primarily because I've spent too many hours tweaking other models, objects and preformance in the game to the stock view.
Since you won't be concerned with mod specific maps like we have in MP, (they take weeks to make), it'll be easier to deal with in SP.

There is an issue on hit count repeatability, at lower FOV values. I'm not sure why, but it was confirmed by the Buda5 team too. Thats probably only a real issue if you will be using smaller ships or faster ships. (or plan to make a MP mod) At a lower FOV value, the ships do cross your percieved field of view differently!

In the SP game I believe it only has to do with the weapon arcs, weapon refire delay, (and the players reaction times) ect.. You could possibly compensate or mod all that out. However, it may also have to do with the aquisisition time of the targeting system, which you can't change, even with pog. I dunno. (In MP there is a additionaly latency issue too.)

I would test the concept carefully before making a final decision

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site