A few more ideas

More
19 years 7 months ago #11722 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic A few more ideas
No plan to do that. As far as I know, there is no way to change ships via POG. It can only be done my moving INI files manually.

You will really only get one ship at a time (to fly). You can change ships as you need them.

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11725 by dertien
Replied by dertien on topic A few more ideas
Ok Gtrout, HIT me if I am the stubborn simpleton that doesn't understand, but wanna get this straightened out:

I have in my hanger a

-storm petrel
-tug
-command section
-patcom
-corvette

I'm flying my old Tug to any Santa Romera station that supports Unigui and Futuretrader There are starships for sale: lets say a choice of 7

- Tug
- adv. patcom
- corvette
- comsec
- Maas Interceptor
- Venice freighter
- Cutter

I sell my tug and fly back to base with a Cutter.

I still have 5 ships to fly in my hanger.

this is thus not possible. Correct?

Gute Leute muss man haben, Gute Leute !

More
19 years 7 months ago #11726 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic A few more ideas
It's a technical problem. The issue is to work with the base, that Maas Interceptor would need to be named exactly the same as one of the original 5 ships. Say the storm petrel. But once you do that, you lose the storm petral forever. The only way it can work is if the player copies over the files. And that makes it impossible to do in POG.

The base does a nice job of handling loadouts, but it has limitations.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 7 months ago #11730 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic A few more ideas

This is because I will never have time to code a custom loadout GUI.

I should remind you that I wrote one for Gold Rush. I think I even put it on the list of code chunks that can be used without even asking, and I recall fully documenting it at some point. The only major limitation to it is that you cannot link the ship's weapons if there is a beam weapon aboard (major crash to desktop problem that I could never find a way to work around).

More
19 years 7 months ago #11735 by dertien
Replied by dertien on topic A few more ideas
hm,

so if I understand correctly:

Gtrout wrote:

or 2. The player can have any number of ships, but you can never change the loadout.

This is because I will never have time to code a custom loadout GUI.

and EricMan64 wrote

I should remind you that I wrote one for Gold Rush.

equals:
Looks like this solves the major 5 ship limitation issue here without sacrificing the loadout.

IMHO I would dearly swap the possibility of not beeing able to change fire modes (chain to salvo fire mode) to the possibility of getting a new ship where I do not need to change the firemode. Furthermore it isn't necessary to write a Pog script to handle that bug. The easiest way is deleting the keystroke in the config.ini which controls fire modes.

XIII

L8erz

More
19 years 7 months ago #11736 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic A few more ideas
Dertien, why are you so set on having so many different ships? :D
What advantages do you forsee that makes think it would be a good feature? Some things to consider:

a) Each additional player ship makes it increasingly (exponentially) difficult to balance the game even if you define them as roll based.

b) From the pilots perspective there is no difference. They all have the same cockpit anyway (unless you want to make some new ones).

c) If you just want to pilot different ships for yourself and don't really care about the game balance, you can always use the iFleet mod. With it you can jump to any of the ships you have captured.
Then you could also mod the captured ships any way you like, in reference to the way it handles and its weapons.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site