Code Release

More
21 years 2 months ago #5015 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Code Release
In other words, navy-type ships must be placed in each faction's ship folders which can support a navy. And no "navy" faction folder actually exists.

Good to know. For rebalance, I need a list of all factions which can support a navy (let's say a "navy" means combat ships destroyer-size and up). I assume the big three would be the only factions to possess carriers.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5018 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Code Release
If we're too squeezed for factions, here are a few we can afford to ditch:
Archangels (DF will hate me for this, but...)
EtCom
Fonseka Foundation
Universal Consumer Products
University of Tulun (though this might've been fun to feature in the spy campaign; a good spy's always gotta do some background research in a good library)

Also the Junkers, the Scavengers, and the Aikenites might be sufficiently similar to condense. Maybe we could lose the Junkers altogether, and leave that role to the Aikenites.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
21 years 2 months ago #5019 by Dark Fire
Replied by Dark Fire on topic Code Release
Aw, go to hell H4D, the ArchAngles will always live on!:D I give up caring, but id love to see them int he game though.

The Man with the really big ship, aka the Columbia Class Super Danube :-)

The Man with the really big ship, aka the Columbia Class Super Danube :-)

More
21 years 2 months ago #5020 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Code Release

In other words, navy-type ships must be placed in each faction's ship folders which can support a navy. And no "navy" faction folder actually exists.

Right. No police folder either. Most of the factions fall into one of seven catagories:

Leung Empire
Sultanate
Emerald
CMC
Corliss
Yehzhid
Aikenites

Almost everyone gets ships from one of these. The Aikenites are "typical" scavengers and can pretty well represent anyone in The Barrens or Dead Reaches. The underworld and independent groups would have ships based on which of the Big 5 they are living inside.

The Brethren are a special case, they have unique ships, but they don't sell.

I felt the same about Carriers, only the big three.

Of course, feel free to adjust this viewpoint as need be. :D

If we're too squeezed for factions, here are a few we can afford to ditch:

We should know more as we get the missions pinned down. The way I see it, if a faction does not have a reason to offer a player a mission, it should be pitched and replaced with more active factions. We can still keep things like Universities and Mercenary stations, but they can belong to a major faction - and just have a fancy name.

But final trimming can come later. I still need to add about 250 more stations to this cluster. Mostly to boost up the economy for later trading games. So, expect more revisions at the end of March.

-Gtrout

More
21 years 2 months ago #5023 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Code Release
You could have as many factions as you want if you were to write your own faction code. I think the only thing you'd lose from doing that would be the faction label on the contact list. You can always find a different way to show the player what faction it is.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5024 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Code Release
A valid point. You would lose automatic fighting (perhaps not a bad thing). And you would lose the faction label. I suppose, factions could be changed to Nationality (or independent) so you know roughly who you are dealing with. Like a United States registered tanker, as opposed to one owned by the Exon corporation. Then the new faction package could be queried for all other calls.

Yes, a good idea. I will put it down for considering in phase two.

-Gtrout