More
18 years 5 months ago #18664 by JT
The blogs' WYSIWYG editor in Firefox is everything but.

I've been trying to get the blog to preserve line breaks, but all it seems to do is munge my sentences with garbage characters (the HTML non-breaking space element that it inserts because I use double-spaces after periods maps to some unknown character) and spit out one gigantic block of text.

Being of sound mind and body, I've always claimed that WYSIWYG editors sucked, and this hasn't really changed my opinion... is there any way we could get a hold of a WYSIWYG-editor-free option? (And have it preserve <br /> tags. Paragraphs are very important parts of story blogs. ;-))

"The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14322 by cambragol
Hi JT,

yeah, WYSIWYG editors are not that great, and sadly don't work very well in firefox particularly. If you look at the top of the editors buttons, you will see there are 3 options for pasting, one normally, one from Word and one as plain text. Give these a try, and see if they don't solve your problems. I usually compose an article in Word or OpenOffice, then just cut and paste the text directly into editor. Usually spacing and paragraphs are preserved quite well. Pasting as plain unformatted text is the best option. You could also try the html button, which allows you to edit the html source directly. If this still doesn't work for you I will do into your profile and see if I can set your editor as a non-WYSIWYG version.

Oh, I just realised you can do it yourself. Just follwo the 'Your Details' link and you should see a drop down menu for selecting your preferred default editor. There are 3 that you could try, one of them a non-WYSIWYG.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14331 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Website: WYSINWYG in Firefox
That wasn't there before I made that post. =)

I suspect ninjas may have been involved.

[edit]Still no dice. It preserves the formatting but line breaks are still stripped before it's posted...[/edit]

[edit2]Weird... looks as though the HTML formatting is stripped when you view the blog via your Player's Blog page, but intact when it is viewed through the direct link to the blog entry (which also includes the comments for that entry).[/edit2]

"The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14333 by cambragol
I noticed that...not sure why that is happening. You can see that a post by Tombeo has paragraphs...I will look into it.

And yes, I did speedily dispatch some ninjas earlier.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14354 by tombe0
Replied by tombe0 on topic Website: WYSINWYG in Firefox
Yup, the editor is certainly buggered BIG TIME in FireFox :)

ie: check the two blog entries I've typed up so far. The first one I just typed in and previewing it found out it had no paragraphs, so I go and insert some <br /> 's and re-previewing show paragraphs. "Nice", it also comes out perfect on the direct link.

The second one I entered <br /> 's into straigth, preview shows paragraphs, and the in direct link it shows paragraphs AND the <br /> 's ! Errrrr... "Not so nice." :)