Ship upgrades

More
18 years 2 months ago #14701 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Ship upgrades
You are right there GrandpaTrout..

I played with a couple of those I mentioned activated, and the game became much much more deadly. I was toast within seconds of starting an incident. Not the kind of balance we want. Your vision of ships not actually 'blowing up' is right on with mine. And your reasoning as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14706 by theweasl
Replied by theweasl on topic Ship upgrades
I worked my tail off getting together my ships and my routes. It takes a lot of time to figure out what works, and how it works. I think it would be fun to pirate some goods somewhere in the system for nothing but profit. Lets say I decide to use Corliss conglomerate as my pirate area. Then I'll be safer elsewhere, but when I go into their territory I'll want a chance to get some goods and to survive the trip. It should be hard to do, but not imposssible either.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14713 by cambragol
Yes, I think we hoping to make any encounter more "survivable". We are not looking at increasing the difficulty. We want to extend the length of combat, increase the strategy required, decrease the frequency with which ships are actually destroyed. Personally I think it should be very very rare and unsual for a ship to be completely destroyed. Think of the value of just ONE ship. Who would really want to destroy any ship? For any pirate, the objective should be to either get cargo, or capture a ship, never destroy it. It would be too much of a waste.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14742 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Replied by Jwk the Hemp Monkey on topic Ship upgrades
"True. These are all missing. Those weapons are all really powerful and totally unbalanced the game. (Assault cannons can take down a cruiser in 5 seconds). So they are gone. If you want to win in Torn Stars, you really need to work the piloting skills. Or hire a bunch of wingmen!"

...well...actually...i had been doing a full re-balance of the game...and i got them to fit in just fine...infact it made the game an utter joy to play with my modifications, I just approached the game with the idea that there would be a function and purpose for each weapon, and i also changed the quality of the technology so that there were realistic changes ( I actually put the orginal values in graphs (e.g. auto-repair, sensor range, active sensor range contribution etc) and drew curves using realistic thoughts

..e.g... the sensor range curve increased rapidly at first (because sensor 1's are really just cameras strapped to the hull of the ship) but the the difference between 4 and 5 was minimal, because there is only so much you can do with light...

and in responce to cambragol, it has to be said the fire power of the ships today when compared to the armour of even oil-tankers, is quite high

More
18 years 2 months ago #14751 by cambragol
Hey Jwk, do you still have those rebalancing changes you made? I would be interested in checking them out. I am starting to do some work on a rebalance, so any input/aid is welcome.

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #15057 by protogenxl
Replied by protogenxl on topic Ship upgrades
how about a re-work of the power systems to allow for uber weapons that take out ships power system for 60 seconds. like the Main Cannon on the Excalibur (Bab 5's Crusade) or The Death Blossom (The Last Star Fighter) you could even use an ammo system to prevent their inevitable over use.