Ship upgrades

More
18 years 3 months ago #14677 by MojoKilla
Replied by MojoKilla on topic Ship upgrades
I agree with you , more power-ups more fun , and you should also consider the chance to make them more expensive , it's kinda easy to get first class equipment . It would be a great motivation for raising money thru trading .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14679 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Ship upgrades
I will have to put that on my massive list of things to do. Of course, if someone wants to work on those as a player mod, it wouldn't hurt...

or...if anyone has a nice idea of the order of power/cost/utility of the games various items, maybe I could look into doing something. I really have no idea. (My big secret is......I NEVER played EOC!!!!) ....(yet).

More
18 years 3 months ago #14688 by whismerhill
Replied by whismerhill on topic Ship upgrades

Originally posted by cambragol

I will have to put that on my massive list of things to do. Of course, if someone wants to work on those as a player mod, it wouldn't hurt...

or...if anyone has a nice idea of the order of power/cost/utility of the games various items, maybe I could look into doing something. I really have no idea. (My big secret is......I NEVER played EOC!!!!) ....(yet).

lol! that's funny, could I ask "how come you never played it?"
it's rather strange
maybe I could be of help for those 'weapon' mod
I'll try to think about it some more

More
18 years 3 months ago #14691 by cambragol
Well, i played until act 2 or 3, whereupon I started modding the game. (Couldn't stomach the original skyboxes, except hoffers wake). When I finally finish modding, I will go back and play through.

As for helping out, well, we can always use some kind of help. However, balancing ships, systems and weapons is no easy task. No sirree..I know that it has felled an elite modder or two. And there are some very specific changes and rebalancing that we are looking for. I believe GrandpaTrout and some others hashed out a vision of what it should be. Maybe I can find it in the teams files and post it up on the Torn Stars site.

I was looking at several of the already completed rebalances, such as dark elite, expert etc. and wondering whether they could not be modified or used as a base for a rebalance to Torn Stars.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14692 by cambragol
I have added the 'rebalance' document to the Torn Stars site for those who are interested.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14698 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Ship upgrades
There are a couple of large issues with rebalance. The largest is Damage Mod and sorting out just what play should be like. This is made more than a little complicated because we still don't have a total understanding of how damage is calculated. But we did learn a large amount about heat, signals, sensors, critical hits, and how each weapon type does damage.

After all that work - I would lean toward a rework where ships don't really get "blown up" but where they suffer internal systems damage until they stop working. So hitpoints that are 10x higher than currently and weapon damage down some. Armor much higher than current with Cap Ship weapons having higher armor penetration.

Weapons like missiles only do hull damage. So they are dangerous, but not as much as currently. It is the PBC weapons that reach into the ship and do critical hits, taking out weapons and engines.

The problem with a balance like the Elite mod, is not that it isn't a good balance, it is. But that it increases the deadlyness. We actually need the opposite. It has to be possible for a freighter to survive long enough for the player to notice it is getting attacked, and rush to defend it. Most players can destroy a freighter in a single sweep past. When you give the AI player weapons, same thing. The player as a merchant becomes impossible. You work your tail off for 20 hours, and lose your whole fleet in 5 seconds.

So Elite is fun, but not the right balance for Torn Stars.