Default Tug for Torn Stars?

More
18 years 2 months ago #18715 by Shane
Just blind curiousity, but is it expected to eventually remove the Cal-specific craft from Torn Stars? The player Storm Petrel, Command Section, and Tug setup are all unique to EoC (i.e., specific designs owned only by Cal Johnston).

Personally, I've always felt the NP Tug looked better. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14731 by Hot4Darmat
Good point. I also like the hammerhead better.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14732 by cambragol
The hammerhead?? Hmmm...I like the cal-specific one a little better. Different strokes I guess...

I have always thought it would be interesting to fully incorporate the 'command section' into the rest of the game. Why does only Cal have this nice comsec that fits on all the latest and best starships? It should be everywhere. So i would opt for retweaking all the other ships to use the comsec model, or the actual comsec. ;)

More
18 years 2 months ago #14734 by GrandpaTrout
I have often thought that the ship builders would have quickly standardized around command sections. Most commercial vessels do not need large crews. Most would be totally robotic in an effort to reduce costs. And I can see mounting the expensive sensors and computer systems in the command section. When you need to upgrade, you just detach, and attach another. Unlike ships with hulls that rust, I expect the electronics on a spacecraft will fail long before the hull structure. Of course the fusion reactor and drives are still attached...

It would be interesting to see a Venice with a hammerhead command section replacing that huge 2 story tall bridge window.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14737 by cambragol
I agree totally Grandpatrout. And isn't that what the cal comsec represents? A standardised command section?

On the other hand I don't think ships would move towards comsecs. Realistically I think that systems and sensors would become more and more spread out and integrated with the whole of the ships hull and armor. To the point that a 'command section' would just be the point where all the integrated systems produced displays for human pilots. Then a gain, maybe that is just what the command section is.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14740 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Default Tug for Torn Stars?
I was under the impression every medium-and-up craft in the game has a command section of some sort. Like the Puffin tug (which actually never detaches in the game), I'd thought the Hammerhead is just a larger model of comsec which allows more crew.

When delving into the construction of the models, there are a great many more comsecs than one might think. The cab for the Venice is labeled as a comsec. Even the front protrusion of the truck is called a comsec. It's possible the creators just coined a universal term for the cockpit, but since it does not appear on every craft (fighters, flitters, etc.) I speculate that it was an intentional determination of what craft should sport comsecs.

Originally posted by GrandpaTrout
Most commercial vessels do not need large crews. Most would be totally robotic in an effort to reduce costs.

I'd have to disagree with that point, but only because of the security situation which exists in the Middle States (and in the Badlands). Too many pirates, rivals, and wars; craft regularly come under fire.

Standard automation can certainly drive the craft from point to point, but to allow them to defend themselves would require intelligent AI brains. Yes, these exist (in the I-War universe), but given the Epitaph Auto-defense Disaster, I'd think everyone would be a bit wary leaving unmanned craft wandering about selecting their own targets.

While placing the avionics in the command section does allow for ease of upgrading all interface systems at once, I'd have to assume that all ship systems are created with ease-of-upgrade in mind. Consider that Smith yanked systems off Cal's ships in record time all by himself.

The lifeboat benefits of the comsec, IMHO, outweigh the automation aspects, and are the most important reason for their existance.

(Of course, the real reason EoC featured a special comsec for Cal is because PS needed a way to make the player the only person on board the ship most of the time. Which is probably the same goal Torn Stars seeks, since creating a 'crew' probably wouldn't be possible given the tools we have to work with. :D )

Anyway, I was just wondering. Not fighting for it or anything. Just kicking around ideas. :)

The really cool thing would be to allow AI comsecs to detach when the main craft is killed. But that too is probably beyond the scope of EoC's mod tools.

Interesting discussion. Lots of different points of view.