Default Tug for Torn Stars?

More
18 years 2 months ago #14741 by whismerhill

Originally posted by cambragol

The hammerhead?? Hmmm...I like the cal-specific one a little better. Different strokes I guess...

I have always thought it would be interesting to fully incorporate the 'command section' into the rest of the game. Why does only Cal have this nice comsec that fits on all the latest and best starships? It should be everywhere. So i would opt for retweaking all the other ships to use the comsec model, or the actual comsec. ;)

well it's explained during EoC campaign (at the start or not far I think)
Cal have this nice comsec and not all ships in the galaxy
because : "most pilots could not handle the additional stress caused by all the additional commands & information to handle at once"

so what I deducted from this is that : due to the high rate of failure to pilot that comsec, it was stopped to be produced
but somehow lucrecia saved one

anyway,
the fact that you have this comsec and not others does not fit in the torn stars universe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14744 by GrandpaTrout
Ah, I explained that poorly. I mean that commercial ships would not need more crew than could fit inside the comsec. Which allows the whole human habitable part of the ship to be self contained. The other tasks on board could be handled by robotics.

There are two ways that comsecs could be dropped when a ship is destroyed. The comsec can be created when the ship blows up - just like the player comsec is created.

Or ships could come in two pieces and the comsec could be docked onto the ship. It would undock at explosion time. The second path would be interesting. A pirate could kill off the crew by blowing away the comsec. (or demanding the crew abandon the ship) and then attach thier own comsec and make off with the hull.

A first step in modular ship construction. The technology for this was tested with the modular stations and works fine. It just needs a little extra pog at ship creation time to make the comsec and attach it. Binishi used this very technique to give the player controllable turrets. The turrets were really seperate ships.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14748 by cambragol
Hasn`t the second path you describe been accomplished with the 'detachable comsec' mod? I used that when I played the first few acts of the original EOCÂ?@and I quite enjoyed being able to detach the comsec. It remined me of I-war 1, and also increased the immersion/realism of the game (I thought). It would be nice to have that feature back in.

Would doing so be an alternative means of increasing the number of ships used by the player (with writing a new loadout)? I mean, would having two pieces of a ship docked to each other take up two of the slots available, or just one? Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area please.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14749 by GrandpaTrout
Well, the attached comsec was for non-player ships. In reference to freighters and the like.

But the only thing stopping the player from detaching in flight is having models of the bodies without the comsec attached. You still need a player ship slot for the comsec or the player cannot enter the base. The "slots" are not spaces. They are INI files. The base loadout package has the INI files for the player ships hard coded. To change ships, you overwrite the INI file in the mod. But POG cannot do that. So, no extra ships.