Movable Planets?

More
18 years 2 months ago #14873 by mdvalley
Replied by mdvalley on topic Movable Planets?
All right, I think I got everything I want in it for the first release. But it still won’t let me submit a new document. It lets me upload, then tells me I’m not authorized.

Cambragol, if there’s a file floating on that server called torbitbeta1.zip, that’s the one.

The version up still needs Torn Stars to work right. It has to be called in scripts.ini on system enter before anything else (including iStartSystem). It’s just one package; nothing else needs to be changed for it to work. It supports ini file entry for the ellipses (orbits.ini), but it will work fine without an ini file.

Nebulae/asteroid belts still don’t orbit (iMapEntity.SystemEntities() doesn’t seem to return them). An L-Point has to be directly between its parent and a child to work.

Barring that, you can put anything in orbit around anything.

Tilted planets might not work, but since none of the planets in Torn Stars are tilted anyways, it’s a moot point for now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14875 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Movable Planets?
Okay, mdvalley, the uploading should be working now. I went through the whole procedure with an account mirroring your own, and it worked. If it doesn't I am going throw myself from a window...or maybe just try an alternate system ;)

The file didn't make it up, so try it again.

and I see you found your sig. Good, good. I couldn't make you a left side 'sun', because of transparency problems. It just wouldn't of worked. Hope you like it though.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14926 by mdvalley
You might want to stay away from open windows for a while; it still doesn’t like me.

And the sig’s nice. The sun behind the TS logo makes it look like a black hole. I like black holes.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14930 by cambragol
*picks himself up from the window outside his apartment*

Okay...give it another shot. I know it seems dubious, but I swear it is working. If it doesn't work, try again. If it still doesn't work, empty your cache, log out of the site, restart your browser, in any order, then try again. May the force be with you on this.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14963 by mdvalley
After e-mailing it to GT, and him to cambragol, tOrbit is finally up on the website, under the player mods. Go play with it, try to get some elliptical orbits going, etc.

We could have some serious fun with the elliptical orbits, like asteroids that get too close to the sun from time to time.

How about comets? Who wants comets? (Even though real comets spend most of their time dormant way out in never-never land.) A comet can make a real nice ice mine (maybe some heavier stuff, composition can vary a lot). Mining a comet that’s close to the sun would be a challenge. The force of the stuff coming off would expose the juicy interior, but your ship would be scrambled by ions and pelted by debris. Sounds fun.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14964 by cambragol
A comet would be seriously cool. But how to model it and represent it in game with flux? I imagine that we could use a number of nebula objects to represent the tail...but I doubt we could get those to work like we wanted. I was always disappointed with the effects of the nebula. Or maybe just forgo any 'tail' and make it more like an asteroid? It would need some thought to get it to work and look right.