Gave it a try and like what I see so far...

More
17 years 9 months ago #15379 by mdvalley
Well, I know that the autopilot is bad at the planet slalom. Flying from Samarkand (the moon, not the L-Point) to Lucretia’s Base makes you plow into the star. Works fine going the other way. Go figure.

What I meant was that, when you autopilot to something on the other side of a star, the ship flies around the star to get to its destination as it should. But if the star is resized, the autopilot still thinks it’s the original size and hits it.

I see no reason why Sim.SetRadius wouldn’t work on a planet (or any other sim for that matter), but the planets size fine from the geog files.

On Earth, the sun takes up half a degree in the sky. That means that if you fly from the Earth to a random point in the solar system (on the ecliptic), you only have about a 1/720 chance of hitting the sun. If the systems in the Middle States are similar, then incidences of ship vs star should be low, even with larger stars. Epitaph, being a big star, might cause some problems (what the heck is the player doing in Epitaph?), but Akra’ll be the problem child. Near as I can tell, it’s a dying star that’s swollen to gargantuan proportians as its fuel runs low. Because it used to be a (lot!) smaller, it’ll surely have planets real close to it (if not lethally close). It’ll claim more than a few pilots if they're not careful.

One fix I can think of would be to place a planet in the center of the system, just smaller than the star. We can hide it from the map, and the autopilot would avoid it (and therefore the star). But if the code forgets to resize the star, it’ll look darn silly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #15396 by FAMSq
Having large stars is quite nice. Some Old stars can reach about 200 to 500 solar radii! Which is about 2 to 5 AU, some even more. They would only leave Gas giants, and thos gas giants would swell up, due to the extra heat from the parent star.

A white dwarf would be cool. The size of the Earth but very very bright.

More
17 years 9 months ago #15412 by Shiva Archon
I rather like the idea of a hazardous star that you need to be careful not to fly into if you're trying to get to something near it. Would your wingmen be smart enough to avoid it too, or are they not affected?

More
17 years 9 months ago #15416 by cambragol
I wouldn't trust the piloting of your wingmen too much. Consider them severly mentally retarded and you will get the picture. They are particularly bad at avoiding large celestial bodies.

Although, I should amend that. They do a pretty decent job most of the time. It is just the stock Autopilot for EoC that is a bit flawed sometimes.

More
17 years 7 months ago #15485 by Shingen
Hey guys.

Ok, I've been playing TS for about a week now, and I'm impressed. Probably the best EoC mod to date. I like it alot better then the freemods and freetrader ones, and it's breathed new life into a great game! Excellent atmosphere, loads of places to explore and trouble to create. Great work!

Since this is a work-in-progress, I do have a few questions about the dynamics.

First, the autopilot bug seems to be cropping up when I have wingmen assigned, but not when I'm alone. As in, approaching stations will cause random CTDs if I have wingmen following, but doesn't seem to crash when I'm solo, APing all over the system. I don't mind manual flight to L-points, except when I fly into the darkside of a planet, or lose my freighters, and I never really used AP in EoC anyway, so it's just something to ramble about.

Loadout and Equipment seems to be kinda screwy. I know I have to dock at a station to change loadout, but how do I sell old equip/weapons? Is there somewhere the upgrades are listed? Engine upgrades, thrusters, sensors, LDAs, ect.? I've found alot of weapons venders, but no one selling system upgrades. Are system upgrades out there or restricted to ship-class? Are freighters going to be made flyable? Not megas, but regular SnRVs?

Most of the stations throughout the cluster seem to have no purpose. Nothing bought and nothing sold. Is this on purpose or just another thing on the to-do list?

Are we able to explore and find hidden L-points to diffrent regions or are the L-points already set and taken over by customs and pirates?

Do we need to buy "rumors" to find hidden/pirate bases or can we find them by exploration?

Thanks for the great mod! Thumbs up!