I'd like to extend my support...

More
15 years 3 months ago #19089 by OrionSX
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in and offer my help in any way possible. I'm fairly good with scripts (I've already had experience modding several games, including EoC) and modelling, but I use 3D Studio Max, so I'll need someone to convert models for me. I'm presently working on a higher quality model of the original NSO-929 Dreadnaught, as I feel that PS severely skimped on the detail for Old Faithful. I'm very partial to that ship, having played the first game, and have modified the scripts in the version of TS I have to replace the hideous tug with the Dreadnaught, as well as some other changes to make the game more enjoyable from my standpoint (honestly, finishing EoC singleplayer, flying the HC or Adv Patcom and then going right back to square one isn't my idea of a lot of fun, but to each their own =P) Anyways, I'd be happy to offer whatever assistance I can, and I do have quite a bit of spare time usually. Also, once I complete the new Dreadnaught model, I'd be more then happy if you could include it in TS/US, and I will continue creating new models for the game if you gents so choose. A small suggestion I'd like to make is adding some things, like "quests" if you will, missions you can do to alleviate the boredom of simply hauling stuff, pirating, etc. These quests could have advanced rewards, such as new weapons, better ships, a custom superfreighter at your service for a set amount of time, etc etc. They could also offer standing rewards, increasing your likability with a certain faction, ala Freelancer, X3, and the like. One thing I would like to work on is improved station models, but I'm not sure they're importable into the game as I've never seen it done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #16817 by OrionSX
Ah yes, forgot to add this. This album contains a few images of my previous 3d work. Unfortunately, much of it was lost due to a HD crash, but these few survived, thanks to Photobucket. :D Please keep in mind that 3 of the images in the album were rough draft, low-poly concept images for a mod for Homeworld 2. I ended up not finishing the model, hence its current, incomplete state. Also shown is the WIP of the Dreadnaught.

smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/ ... =slideshow

More
15 years 3 months ago #16825 by cambragol
Hi Orion.

A higher quality version of the original NSO-929 Dreadnaught would be fantastic. I have hoped that someone would take up the task for some time now. I know how to get ships functioning in game, so if you can make the model I can most likely get into TS:US. I have Lightwave, so it is possible that I could convert a model from Studio Max (but by no means certain). We also have a nice set of tools made by Jasper that allow us to convert pso to lwo and back again. Which means any model in the game is editable. However the NSO in EOC is very low quality, and wouldn't even really serve as a good base.

More
15 years 3 months ago #16829 by cambragol
I just remembered, that to fit the NSO into our current loadout, you need to make the model without the missile pylons. That way the loadout can attach whatever the weapon the player chooses on the ends of the dreadnaughts 'wings' (it's major mountpoints) Check out the link to this pic to see what I mean. It is an advanced patcom, docked in the loadout area.

www.torn-stars.com/gallery2/main ... c3f4b4bb43

More
15 years 3 months ago #16830 by OrionSX
I could easily remove the wings shown in the screenshots, but to be honest, I would almost rather keep the weapons as "internal" mountpoints. In the original I-War (and in Defiance, I believe) the Dreadnaught was able to change its weapon systems, but the few weapons offered didn't change the model's appearance. This was probably due to the dev's not wanting to code and model new weapon systems, but it makes sense to assume that the older 929-class isn't compatible with, say, a neutron PBC. Older-design weapons however can link right in with the 929s' spherical PBC turrets, and as far as lore goes, you could limit the weapons on the 929 to classic weapons like the PBC, Rapid-Fire PBC, Pulse-Acc PBC, etc. The missile hardpoints are also housed in internal magazine as far as the design goes anyways, so putting modular missile hardpoints kind of defeats the purpose. This backstory and technological limitation would keep the 929 canon with classic I-War lore, and still keep its rugged good looks.

My personal opinion would be to use the 929 to replace the Tug as your first ship in Torn Stars. In comparison to the tug, it is weaker as far as possible armaments go, but it would essentially play the part of a balance ship, somewhere between the Tachyon-class and the Devastator-class. Strap a couple RF-PBCs on and a bay full of Deadshot and Disruptor missiles, and you've got a well armed combat ship, and for non-combat pilots, it also has 2 dockpoints for hauling extra cargo, should you not be able to afford a hauler. Just my thoughts.

More
15 years 3 months ago #16831 by cambragol
You could also just make two versions, one simply the original with the missilemounts snipped off to represent the 'retro' fitted version. That is what we have in game currently. Also, we don't actually need to replace any ships in game, as we can support unlimited ship types with our new loadout. Though I guess you meant more as a 'starting' ship. We were thinking of making the players start even more humble, giving him a rusted old 'Truck' (the boxy yellow ship if you recall)

Here is what I did with the 'retrofitted' NCO 929 ship in game.

www.torn-stars.com/index.php?opt ... g2_page=2#