Targeting missiles

More
21 years 11 months ago #1997 by ExplodingBoy
Replied by ExplodingBoy on topic Targeting missiles
In the original I-War you could target missles - I used to use it fairly reguarly.

It would be nice to see at least having the ability to target missles - even if u had to manually assign a keybind.

Not to mention it would give that quad light pbc in the comsec something to do . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 11 months ago #2002 by SlipStream
Replied by SlipStream on topic Targeting missiles
LOL...have you ever tried loading up on nothin but Quad Light PBCs? Pretty affective if you ask me :D

{SIG}
CHECK THIS GAME OUT!!!
www.starshatter.com/
LOOKS REALLY COOL

Its been sucha long time and IW2 still rocks my sox just as much...who woulda figured eh?

More
21 years 11 months ago #2082 by Flamineo
Replied by Flamineo on topic Targeting missiles
The point defence turret does work reasonably well, although it's no substitute for getting good at dodging. A quad pack of AI decoys helps too, particularly in conjunction with Stephen Robertson's manual countermeasures mod. None of the game's default weapons is that good at shooting missiles, which are even harder to hit than fighters. The quad-light does an ok job within about 3km, though.

If you really want a good player-controlled anti-missile cannon, you'd probably want to ini-mod a light PBC to do even less damage, but have a very high bolt speed. You might also consider creating a small, light, low damage dedicated anti-missile homing missile with very high maneuvrability characteristics.

originally posted by Ciberputa
Is there any way to target incoming missiles?

I haven't sent it to SoupDragon for inclusion on his mod pages on account of there still being some outstanding things to work on, but my Contact Filter mod lets you apply various target filtering criteria, including allowing manual targeting of missiles. It's still beta, but it's usable enough -- I had it active myself from mid Act Two without encountering any game-breaking problems.

originally posted by SlipStream
have you ever tried loading up on nothin but Quad Light PBCs

The damage and penetration ratings for the quad light are just silly, so yes, assuming you have a reasonable heat dissipation set-up, it's a hugely effective weapon. It's a bit crappy at anything but very short range, though, so for general use I prefer 3-4 Pulse-accelerated or, once I've got 'em, Heavy or Neutron PBCs. They'll even bring down cruisers and carriers reasonably fast if you're having trouble closing to cutting beam range.

More
21 years 11 months ago #2088 by SlipStream
Replied by SlipStream on topic Targeting missiles
w00t!

{SIG}
CHECK THIS GAME OUT!!!
www.starshatter.com/
LOOKS REALLY COOL

Its been sucha long time and IW2 still rocks my sox just as much...who woulda figured eh?