Andromeda Mod

More
20 years 3 months ago #8699 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic Andromeda Mod
really? i hadnt tried that. Does it put them out as .LBM ?

"Faith lies in the ways of sin"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8708 by William
Replied by William on topic Andromeda Mod
This model is worth way more than 30 hours of work to me. Don't worry, you don't seem rude at all. I want to work on it as much as I can, and I don't expect anyone to do it for me. If you can reduce the model for me, that would be awesome. I'm pretty sure that I can do the .ini files for the ship, so you don't need to worry about that. What are all of those .jpg files for? Are the colours included in the Lightwave file, or are there no colours yet? If there is anything that you think I can do, then just leave it for me and I'll try to do it.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8711 by William
If you reduce the number of polygons will I still be able to change the model? I just remembered that I had been hoping that I could make the battle blades for the Andromeda. I need to know how I can add the battle blades, or for that matter, any other objects. I don't know how to create any new parts for the mesh, and I didn't see anything in the 3D Exploration Help Menu.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8712 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Andromeda Mod
All those jpeg files are the texture files for the ship, that's where all the ships coloring (or paint job you might say) comes from. Make sure you tell 3D Exploration where to find all those files for them to show up in the display (otherwise it will just show you the mesh). But... 3D Exploration isn't going to help you (it's only for viewing 3d models), you need actual modeling software (preferably Lightwave 5). Also, don't be too disappointed but 3D Exploration won't output texture coordinates correctly for the Lightwave 5 object format during export. In fact, nothing will but lightwave 5. Polytrans from Okino will do it, but it costs about $400, and you can get a copy of lightwave 5 from ebay for about $250. If you're only interested in this one ship I suggest you get someone to help you, but if you're interested in making anything else I suggest getting a copy of lightwave and learning to do it yourself.

really? i hadnt tried that. Does it put them out as .LBM ?

Yep.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net

cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 3 months ago #8719 by William
Yeah, after I thought about it for 5 seconds I figured that that was the reason, especially considering it has a name like 3D Exploration. Milkshape won't even open it, and I can't even tell if it allows you to model or just look at stuff. I don't really care because it doesn't open the one ship that I want to look at anyways. It would be nice to have Lightwave, because I don't expect anyone to do this for me, but i kind of doubt that I will be doing any other ships than this one.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8721 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Andromeda Mod
Okay, I'll break it up and reduce the polys. Be aware the model will lose some definition by reducing the polys.

SecondChance is correct that only Lightwave version 5 will assign the textures easily. And as far as I know, GrandpaTrout and I are the only ones who have it. So I'll reapply them and convert it to PSO format. This will leave you with an avatar which you can set up an ini file and scene setup file for. The Sim and Subsim document (located in the Graphics SDK) is the bible for doing this. It's worth studying.

I'm probably going to have to go into the model to fix messy polys after reducing it, so this may take anywhere from a few days to a week. I'll post progress in this thread.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">