New thread for my cloud texture issue

More
19 years 8 months ago #11416 by Second Chance
Your talking about map nebula, right? I would think that a color value there would be for coloring the inside of the nebula cloud (the fog). But I'm sure this has already been thouroughly tested. Beats me.

Wait a minute, what kind of color info do suns use? mdvalley and I were just talking recently about a star color issue. He says that from a distance a star's color is different from the color up close, the color that matches the 1-11 star color in the map file. Maybe this other color info has something to do with that. Because it can't be flare color from the <star> light in the Lightwave scene file since the <star> light doesn't use a lens flare.

I think I can safely say that cloud opacity does not affect atmosphere halo thickness. At least not without another setting being in effect, like the cloud texture connection to the ring number value.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11422 by mdvalley
I posted about the map nebulae at the bottom of the first page. They all look like the Effrit, asteroids and all, probably because the Effrit is the only map nebula in the game and the designers didn’t bother to add flexibility.

The coordinate system seems to be a simple x,y,z. I never tinkered with planet orientations. I’ll work on it after I’m done with my L-Point tinkering. If you’ve noticed, my L-Point orientation only works in a flat plane. I’m working on getting it to align in 3 dimensions, but it’s horribly complicated.

And L-Points can be between any two objects on the map. I believe an L-Point in Mwari is a planet-sun L-Point. In Coyote (or Kompira, I don’t remember which), an L-Point is between an asteroid station and the sun. In your original Middle States map files, two L-Points were between a moon and the wrong planet!

More
19 years 8 months ago #11423 by GrandpaTrout
I could get you a version of the geography file that lets you type in the X, Y, Z vectors directly. Or are you just modifying the code?

Is this the coordinate system you found work: +y is up, +x is right, and +z goes back (forward).

I think I can safely say that cloud opacity does not affect atmosphere halo thickness

Ok. Well, perhaps they had wanted a cloud opacity, but never implemented the flux side of it.

[Edit] Just because I could not resist, here is a link to a great halo image from Saturn's moon Titan. www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-072904.html
-Gtrout

More
19 years 8 months ago #11424 by mdvalley
As seen on the starmap, +X is east, +Z is south, and +Y is “up�. Those are for positions. I’m not sure how orientation works out. L-Points are in a world all their own. Hopefully, planets are easier.

For orientations, I’m entering the xyz vectors directly as hex into the map file so far. (Technically, I enter angles in Excel, let it calculate the xyz, then cut ‘n’ paste into the map file.) Don’t bother making that modified geog program. Excel lets me keep track of what I put in and how it turned out, with charts and all.

From what I can tell, the geog already sends the xyz for planets directly to the map file, and it should auto-align the L-Points. (Which it does, if everything is on the ecliptic. Off of the ecliptic is what I’m trying to get working. As it is now, stuff off of the ecliptic makes the geog program add up the vectors to more than 1, with interesting results. I once got an L-Point to spit me out going 2000 m/s.)

More
19 years 8 months ago #11425 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
that 'bug' could actually be used to help with gameplay.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 8 months ago #11439 by GrandpaTrout
Good progress so far. Nearly done with decoder functions. Should have a new version this weekend. (*Must Resist Purchase of DOOM 3! Must Resist....)

[Edit]

Almost done. I need to update my geog document to reflect the new changes. And run a few more test maps. It works pretty well. I can take hoffers_wake.map, decode it, convert the decoded file back into a map, and decode it again - with the same results both times. (Except for those things we don't really understand yet).

-Gtrout